What was that about shorting power lines?

So what is it exactly, Did an elephant climb a pylon or what?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No, it shows a macacque monkey with a young one clutching on to it, and the mother is hanging on to one power line overhead while walking along another. Either the Indians have covered the power lines in insulation, or there is no power in them; or maybe they are at the same phase. But the expectation is that the monkeys should have been cooked.

BTW, what hard- and soft-ware do you use to 'read' your messages?

Reply to
Davey

In message , Davey writes

Sorry guys, but this has just reminded me of the following...........

There was once a bus conductor, and he had really bad anger management problems, One day a woman on the bus refused to pay the fare. Well, the bus conductor got so angry he killed her. He was tried and sentenced to death by the electric chair.

The day for his execution came, and they took him out of his cell and brought him to the chair. The guard said, "Have you any last requests?"

The man replied, "Yes, I'd like an unripe green banana, please."

So they got him an unripe green banana, and he peeled it, ate it, and threw the skin away, and they strapped him to the chair.

"Are you ready?" they asked.

"Yes," he said.

And they hit the switch. And nothing happened. So he was taken back to his cell.

The guards rewired the chair and tested it a few times, and it worked perfectly. They brought the man back and said, "Have you any last requests?"

The man replied, "Yes, I'd like an unripe green banana, please."

So they got him an unripe green banana, and he peeled it, ate it, and threw the skin away, and they strapped him to the chair.

"Are you ready?" they asked.

"Yes," he said.

And they hit the switch. And nothing happened. So he was taken back to his cell.

Well, the guards bought a brand new electric chair. This one was amazing: leather seats, gold-plated armrests studded with rubies, the works. It was an incredible sight.

They brought the man back and asked, "Have you any last requests?"

The man replied, "Yes, I'd like an unripe green banana, please."

So they got him an unripe green banana, and he peeled it, ate it, and threw the skin away, and they strapped him to the chair.

"Are you ready?" they asked.

"Yes," he said.

And they hit the switch. And nothing happened.

Now, in this particular state, there was a law that if someone survived the electric chair three times, he must be set free. So the man was released, and as soon as he stepped out of the prison, the press was all over him. He walked through the crowd and the flashing cameras until he saw a small man who asked, "Have you discovered some miraculous phenomenon of unripe green bananas?"

"No," he replied, "I've just always been a bad conductor."

Reply to
Bill

Um, I see goats in a tree on my iPhone.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

My Uncle Maurice told me that joke in 1958.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

On a desktop browser the link goes to the 18th picture of the set (the monkeys) seems your phone is showing the 1st picture in the set (the goats).

Reply to
Andy Burns

Well, it must at least date back to bus conductors...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

But not older than 1890...

Reply to
polygonum

I'm using Outlook express and nvda.

Free if you want to play.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

But surely it was taken when the power cuts in India were on then.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I''ll raise you two goats and a flying squirrel.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Who knows? It's not dated, except for being one of the 'Pictures of the Week', which could mean anything. And there are other possible explanations, some of which I mentioned.

I am still interested in your hardware/software for reading messages, per my earlier post.

Reply to
Davey

He mentioned this

to see there is a FOSS solution available, though hope there would be provision for a commercial solution if Brian had a need for it ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Oops, sorry, missed that. Apologies. I saw it, but didn't relate it to my question, thought it was something else. Will investigate.

Reply to
Davey

that's a /caret/ they showed moving not a cursor. A cursor is a horizontal line, a vertical line is a caret.

JGH

Reply to
jgh

No, a caret is an inverted 'v', like this ---> ^

am not sure what | is called.

Wiki says this

"It (vertical bar) may be called by various other names including the polon, pipe (by the Unix community, referring to the I/O pipeline construct), Sheffer stroke (by computer or mathematical logicians), verti-bar, vbar, stick, vertical line, vertical slash, or bar, think colon, poley, or divider line."

In fact cursors pre computers were actually bars orthogonal to the scales they were measuring against,

The word means 'runner'

the first time I encountered the term was in slide rules, which predate computers

also used in describing some kinds of analogue displays. In a sense the needle on a meter or the hands on a clock are cursors.

In essence the basic meaning is something that moves with respect to something else that needs a handy way of marking a point.

There is no implication of whether its a vertical line, a bar a caret or a set of cross hairs or indeed a pointer or hand symbol. Mouse icons are also cursors of a sort.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , snipped-for-privacy@arcade.demon.co.uk escribió:

Seeing as the typical user would be blind, I doubt they care very much.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

So that thing I used to move along my slide rule was called a caret????

Reply to
Bob Eager

Not according to MS:

Wiki: