What type of paint for this?

Hi guys,

Have a pair of speakers that sound fantastic and cost a small fortune, but they don't match the rest of my audio stuff which is matt & semi-matt black. The speakers are the usual particle board carcasses with a thin veneer of some plastic laminate intended to resemble teak. What kind of paint could I apply to the speaker cabinets which would adhere well and give the best finish?

cheers, cd.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

are you sure you want to do that? Might make them unsalable, and please don't try sanding them... Brian

Reply to
Brian_Gaff

Possibly some sticky back plastic, in the Blue Peter tradition. If you get the right sort, it can later be removed without leaving a trace using a hairdryer and patience. If you get the wrong sort, the heat used to remove it will melt the glue on the existing laminate...

Reply to
John Williamson

I'm not bothered about resale as I'm keeping these til I snuff it and my Will provides for them to be buried alongside me. In the absence of any constructive suggestions here I'm going to try automotive cellulose from a small aerosol can on a small area and see how that works.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Depends a bit on the finish you want... pretty much any black paint will change the colour. One of the matt black aerosols from a DIY shop designed for "craft" (i.e. purposes will give a flat thin finish that retains the texture of the woodgrain finish.

e.g:

You can also get speaker covering cloths designed to cover the casework (not the acoustic cloths to cover the grills) - more often used for portable kit needing a rugged finish.

Reply to
John Rumm

Matte black wrapping vinyl for cars, try eBay, its not granddad's fablon.....

Reply to
Adam Aglionby