What type of extractor fan to install in bathroom

My bathroom has some damp on the wall and I suspect this is due to inadequate ventilation, despite the small window.

There seem to be so many types of extractor fans........ Ones that go in the glass in the window, ones that you install in the exterior wall, ones that lead into the attic....etc etc.

Which one do you think is best suited for a heavily used bathroom with a small window? Anyone had any success with just an airbrick or a cover. I was thinking of paying someone to cut a small hole in my wall. As yet, I have no idea of prices.

Reply to
butterfly

If your bathroom has an attic above it might be easiest to fit a ceiling fan and duct it out via the soffit. Check there is enough of a gap beween the wall and the underside of the roof to allow ducting through.

Fan should be capable of about 5 air changes per hour I believe.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Whatever installation you go for, I would recommend, particularly as you have a dampness problem, getting a n extractor that is triggered by the humidity in the room - it has a humidistat. As an addition make sure it also has a pull cord so that it can be switched on to evacuate smells.

Rob

Reply to
Rob G

"butterfly" wrote

Look at VentAxia web site

under knowledge centre this will give you a good start. Avoid the concertina style duct as far as possible - you will see from VentAxia (if you look deep enough) that this stuff derates a fan by at least

50% in air flow terms. This is also made clear, in the small print, on the packaging of some of the shed fans supplied with the stuff. Personally I would not fit anything other than VentAxia or Xpelair. There is a reason why councils fit these makes - they last. The last one I bought was an Xpelair wall mounted jobbie - cost £60 IIRC. Yes you could by a shed animal that looks similar(ish) for around £20 but the Xpelair came with a five year total replacement warantee.

VERY strongly recommend that you don't buy cheap when it comes to fans! You will regret it when you have to replace them every 2 years or so.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Rob G wrote on 02/04/2009 :

One fitted with both a humidistat and a PIR (to detect people) would take care of both functions automatically.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

TheScullster expressed precisely :

You pay a premium for the name, there are other equally good fans without paying for the name, but I do agree there are some rubbish ones around.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yup, that is what I had in our old bathroom, loft mounted fan, venting via a pipe through the roof, separate humidistat and pull switch.

Yes, you lose some performance using a fan venting through pipe, but as long as you allow for that, and the resulting performance is sufficient, then that's not a problem.

As for which type, it doesn't really matter, which ever your feel best fits in your bathroom, will be easiest to install, will be most aesthetically pleasing etc. Though I'd avoid a window fitting one if possible, as I think they look ugly, and if the window is small will reduce the natural light.

As to the airbrick idea, no I'd not think it was sufficient. Esp with a shower. In the bathroom as mentioned above before we redid it it had an airbrick for ventilation. it was damp, mould on the grout etc. Once redone,with fanned ventilation we never ever had such a problem

Reply to
chris French