What to with the exposed underside of a staircase

Yesterday I exposed the underside of the top three stairs on our staircase when ripping out some old lath n plaster stud walls. The stair underside was concealed by curved LnP, which I ripped off. The underside of the stair is quite attractive, shape-wise, but the wood is very rough and would be a nightmare to sand for painting. So, I'm trying to think of ways to retain the shape of the underside of the thing and what to cover it with so I can paint it. Anyone else done similar?

tia

Antony

Reply to
antony.adshead

3mm ply. Or even hardwood veneer if you want to stain it instead.
Reply to
Mike