what to use to level floor by 10-15mm

I am trying to level our utility room floor. It is partially tiled the rest being concrete. The largest variation in depth is approx 15mm. What should I use to level this prior to tiling? Self-levelling compound says no more than 3mm. Whatever is suggested can I use it over the tiles as well as concrete to so using existing tiles to fill in some of the depth?

TIA

Martin

!^NavFont02F012F0006NGHHHwFDD6

Reply to
myeamil

To be honest, I think you'd be better off with a bolster hammer, chisel and safety specs.

failing that, why not tile where you want to raise it, then... tile over the lot again...

Self-levelling compound says

Reply to
Scott Mills

You could use the tile adhesive itself to level the floor by the amount you say. If you're tiling on to the concrete section the adhesive itself is the ideal choice.

Reply to
BigWallop

You sre about that? Mine said not LESS than 3mm....

If you can be bothered, use thick beds of tile cement - rapid set mixed THICK is best - and do it all with levels and strings etc.

I took out up to 30mm this way...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You could always 'skim' it up with some sand cerment mix - sharp might be better for this purpose.

Reply to
Scott Mills

Err, was a quick look while in Wickes, maybe it is not less than 3mm.

!^NavFont02F00370007NGHHG384CC4

Reply to
myeamil

Thanks, I didnt realise that it could be used that thick, sounds better than mortar that someone suggested to me.

!^NavFont02F005E0007NGHHG5F740A

Reply to
myeamil

Yes I am serious, looked like hard work smashing up the concrete, tiles on tiles ok but maybe expensive, not as flexible as thick tile adhesive?

!^NavFont02F00770007NGHHG7885AD

Reply to
myeamil

If it were my place I would want to do it properly, not with tile adhesive that may disintegrate after x years. Parallel strips of wood fixed to the floor, get them all nice and level. Fill with good mortar mix, levelling it to the battens. When dry remove battening and fill that too. But... there are many options.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

I'd seal the floor with 1PVA: 4 water and use the same to mix a Readymix general purpose mortar. Without a high PVA content it will break up at that sort of thickness.

Reply to
stuart noble

In article , N. Thornton writes

Personally I wouldn't put a sand cement mortar down that thin...

What you can do is use the self levelling material and bulk it out with sand and use that to bring the floor up to 3-5mm of the finished level and then use the neat compound to finish off

Reply to
David

what mixture would you use? 4 parts soft sand to 1 part cement ?

!^NavFont02F00330006NGHHG{58EE

Reply to
myeamil

2:1 should be ok that thin, or even 1:1.5. One can also add fibres for crack control. I've used plenty of 1:1.5 here. Your suggestion does sound more purpose made though, so maybe would last better.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

In article , N. Thornton writes

My recommendation is what we do for industrial floors so may be a bit OTT for a utility room as you don't get many forklift trucks in utility rooms :-)

Reply to
David

sorry 2:1 what exactly? sand:cement or sand:leveling compound?

Martin

!^NavFont02F003D0007NGHHG3E62D1

Reply to
myeamil