What to use as packer?

On advice here I went and bought a load of :

Bolting down with 10mm Thunder Bolts

First off impressed Toolstation didn't have the 22 of them I needed ... they took order for 17 shortage for free delivery to home address ... don't offer Sat delivery, but I asked customer service and they said .. OK - sorted delivered today (BH weekend)

Anyway the Q ..... For 18 of posts they fit perfect as the posts are 100 x100 sawn

4 of the posts though are regularized planed as these are 2.4m long and will be on show (sawn posts all hidden)

Unfortunately being planned means they are 92 x 92 ... so I need to fit an 8mm packer between post & fixing, and then screw through fitting/packer into post. Has to be something that will last years out doors.

Any suggestions of what to use ?

I could cut some strips of code 5 lead flashing ?

Seems a waste to go buy a sheet of 8mm wbp just to make four 35 x 100 packers.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Plastic packers ? Screwfix / toolsatan. Cut to fit neatly.

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

There are lots of things kicking around that are made of plastic about

4mm thick. Fish boxes, water tanks, etc. Put some of that all round each post.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I have a spare CW tank ... I'll go measure that

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Hammer flat a scrap of copper pipe - that will make about 2mm, fold once for 4 ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

[...]

Double glazing frame wedges.

Reply to
Nthkentman

In message , John Rumm writes

Make a nice battery with zinc plated bolts outdoors! Otherwise a stack of washers?

I would extend the thread and shorten the bolt but realise the OP may not have access to the tackle.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

there are no bolts ? ...

Reply to
Rick Hughes

whatever is the modern equivalent of fibro (used to be asbestos)

Reply to
F Murtz

assume you mean Asbestolux boards ?@

I have some of that but it is quite brittle, didn't think it would work if compressed.

Reply to
Rick Hughes