What to put behind radiators to improve efficiency

Hi - can you get some sort of insulated foil of something to put behind radiators to increase their efficiency? Is this the right stuff to use, where do you get it from and how much?

Reply to
405 TD Estate

See :-

don't have to stick it, just cut slots that fit over the mounting brackets.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

|!Hi - can you get some sort of insulated foil of something to put |!behind radiators to increase their efficiency? Is this the right stuff |!to use, where do you get it from and how much?

I painted the backs of my radiators with aluminium/silver paint. Reduced the temperature of the wall behind it noticeably and does not need replacing when one redecorates. Good job to do the middle of summer.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Space blanket might be a good solution. I bought quite a lot of it very cheaply from the US recently (to make roller blinds!).

Maris.

Reply to
Maris

If that is indeed effective (and I'm not doubting you), then why haven't we ever seen radiators supplied with the backs already silver painted?

I wonder how much do heat do radiators actually "radiate" (backwards) compared with their convection output?

And does the current of warm air rising from a radiator (attached to a cold wall) get cooled significantly by contact with the wall?

David

Reply to
Lobster

I can't quantify the losses but clearly remember seeing infra-red pictures of the exterior walls of houses where the sites of radiators were clearly defined. Placing reflective material behind the radiators dissipated these hot-spots.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Its a bit thin and light, you would have to stick it to the wall and might have to take the rad off to do it. The silver stuff the sheds sell has a thin foam backing and once you have cut it to length and cut slots for the brackets it is stiff enough to just drop down and stay there.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby