What to lubricate locks with?

One of the locks on my motorbike is a bit rough - what can I use to improve it?

Thanks,

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Normally graphite powder, Daniele.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

A spray of WD40, which is silicon based in a solvent, will free it up again.

Reply to
BigWallop

For almost all locks, I use dry lubricant - specifically graphite powder - still available from proper locksmiths. I have to say that on a motorbike, I might be more inclined towards WD40.

Reply to
Simon Gardner
666 snipped-for-privacy@hack.powernet[dot]co[dot]uk (Simon Gardner) wrote in news:BCBF05C696681114C0@192.168.0.3:

I've always used WD40 on my bikes for years.

I felt a bit nervous because I know it's deprecated, but I never had the choice - seized lock, only WD40 to hand.

It's always worked well and caused no consequential problems

mike

Reply to
mike ring

In message , D.M. Procida writes

The standard UKRM answer would be ..... ANGLE GRINDER

Reply to
geoff

What, no caustic soda ?

Reply to
Colin Wilson

In message , Colin Wilson writes

Caustic soda is for girls

Reply to
geoff

Flake graphite - comes in a little puffer bottle from a decent locksmith.

_Don't_ use WD40 - it's rubbish for this sort of job. If you must go for something oily (with all the gumminess and dust-grabbing problems that causes) look for a PTFE-loaded lube like Tri-Flow or Break-Free.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Wouldn't KY be better?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

WD40 isn't silicon based. Now, for a good silicon based product, try fine builders sand. Does wonders for locks.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Or consider GT85 a bicycle lubrricant like WD40 but with ptfe (teflon)

Nick Brooks

Reply to
Nick Brooks

FWIW, Haynes car manuals have always advised not to use a 'wet' type lubricant on ignition locks due to the possibility of them overheating and igniting the oil.

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

Well, as it happens this is the lock on the back box, so no danger of that. It is the same kind of lock as the ignition though.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

I've heard of people shagging the speed limit - but never their vehicle!

I spot a new Guinness Book record and claim my five pounds

(:-)

Graham

Reply to
Graham Wilson

Sigh. "what should I lubricate locks with" ... "Angle grinder". "Caustic soda is for girls"

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Where else would you find such a wealth of information, on such a range of subjects? :-)

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

"Ian Stirling" wrote | Sigh. | "what should I lubricate locks with" ... "Angle grinder". | "Caustic soda is for girls"

Yeah, stupid isn't it.

If you take a decent SDS drill to the lock it won't need lubricating :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain