What thickness ply to use?

We're having carpet laid in our hallway which leads to our kitchen. The carpet will be approx. 5mm with 11mm underlay. Total 16mm In the kitchen I'm going to put down ply and have some sort of lino material on top. As the lino will only be a couple of mm I'm trying to decide what thickness of ply to use.will 9mm be sufficient or should I go for 12mm?

Reply to
jgkgolf

Personally I use 18mm, although 12mm might do if the existing floor is flat and sound and not just joists or battens.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Don't worry about having different thicknesses in the hall and kitchen; that's very 'normal' and is accomodated by a special binder bar, like:

'm assuming this ply is going on top of tatty floorboards, and is just there to make a good flat finish? If so, 6mm WBP ply will be plenty.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Quite right not to worry. In fact, hardboard's just as common as 3 or 6mm ply. Only need to worry if you're putting down tiles. Then you want BIG sheets of 10-18mm ply, depending on the floor below.

If the lino is cheap or quite thin, then use some light adhesive (3M type stuff) to gum it down either all over or (more sensibly if you ever want it up) just around the edges. If it's a good 3.5 or 4mm one, it shouldn't be an issue.

al

Blimey - I'd agree if it was to underlie ceramic or slate tiles etc, but for lino?

David

Reply to
Lobster

I'd go for 12mm, as it's only a packing material. You'll have to take care that the edges are well secured, else your lino will suffer from ridging. T&G flooring chipboard would be the best choice, but 18mm is a bit thick... What's the existing floor made of?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Yes it is going on mainly tatty floorboards, though there is a section of concrete where a chimney breast was removed. Part of the reason for putting fairly thick ply down is for insulation as there is quite a draught under the floorboards (lots of airbricks to prevent damp). Is there anything I could put between the ply and floorboards to improve insulation?

Reply to
jgkgolf

Ahhh .. I have that exact problem too! Wind blows straight under the house and the kitchen floor is always freezing! Turns out there's not even any hardboard under the kitchen units, so it's really bad there. Gonna put some down where I can and I'm changing the manky "washable" carpet thing for a

4mm vinyl covering instead (still on hardboard). a
Reply to
al

Once you've stopped the draught, insulation is probably secondary. Are you prepared to lift the floorboards? Do any services run under? If y and n, then you could replace the floorboards entirely with 22mm T&G "Caberfloor", which is good. Nail batten under the floor, to the sides of the joists, and push in cut up "Jablite" 50mm, tight. If you don't want to lift the boards, then if you're putting down ply, that'll stop draughts anyway, and "stuff" in between the ply & boards will only give rise to a potential problem, so I wouldn't bother.

Reply to
Chris Bacon