What the ****? (OTish)

While browsing ebay, as you do. I came across these

I thought to myself, "what the **** would you use these for?" How would you remove anything that was stuck to them? in fact unless you are built like Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime, you could only use them once.

Suggestions please.

Rick... (The other Rick)

Reply to
Rick... (The other Rick)

> and I thought to myself, "what the **** would you use these for?" Cycling efficiency. Tack one to the front of ya bicycle and go follow a bus...

Actually, that's given me an idea. If you could utilise a permanent magnet in some way that the flux could be controlled (to avoid final and total attraction), then the resulting contraption stuck on the front of your vehicle could maybe save ye some fuel?

Be naughty though, but the idiot in front in his posh 4x4 over-engined gas guzzeler probably won't notice the difference at the petrol station?....

Reply to
Adrian C

"Rick... (The other Rick)" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I'm intrigued to know how they'll be delivered in the first place. They'll kinda stick to the postie's van...

Three of 'em will lift the average car.

Reply to
Adrian

>>> and I thought to myself, "what the **** would you use these for?" >

if it did actually make contact, well then that's your magnet gone..

I have actually thought of one legitimate use for them. You could make a frequency generator, a la Tesla.

Rick... (The other Rick)

Reply to
Rick... (The other Rick)

could only use them once.

According to the blurb you can use them for; Building wind generators and wind turbines,

-Carrying out experiments,

-Inventing diverse devices,

-Hanging up objects,

-Attaching metal parts,constructions,

-Picking metal/iron objects out of the water/sand,

-Removing calcium from water-supply pipes,

-Performing tricks,magician stunts

Am I the only person that heard an evil laugh after "carrying out experiments"?

Reply to
Lino expert

could only use them once.

A normal magnet is fine to play with (up to 10Kg) but 450Kg is totally frigging insane!!!!

Rick... (The other Rick)

Reply to
Rick... (The other Rick)

It stretches credibility a bit. As you say, once on the metal floor of the van it would take half a tonne of pull to shift. Maximum load for one person lifting is usually 25kg. Perhaps there is very thick foam packaging to keep it a sensible distance from anything else. There can't be a keeper to 'short-circuit' the flux can there? How would you get the keeper off? The bit that makes me wonder is when it says that there will be a strong pull one metre away. Surely not?

Reply to
Peter Scott

Have your finger or arm off...

I can't help thinking that the flux must be very contained to the surface as you'd not be able to let the thing near anything magnetic as it would either go to it or it to the magnet, to all intents an purposes permenantly.

Even with a contained flux anything would be well and truely stuck.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

could only use them once.

Absolutely the best thing for closing internal wooden shutters so they don't blow open when the window is open. I fitted some in our house and had this problem and happened to bump into someone who does it professionally and gave me this tip. You drill a small hole and use epoxy to glue them in. They are a bit of a b*****r to work with as you say, separating them is hard.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

I use them (not this strong, obviously) for making toys for school. Things like letter sorting puzzles and number-bond games. The magnets hold the bits in place nicely which is handy for some children who're less physically coordinated.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Or not. Depends on how good a contact you get - and the roof of most cars is a) thin and b) painted. I'm assuming the 450kg pull is onto bare thick metal.

Reply to
Skipweasel

I agree. Using kg as a unit of magnetic field strength _is_ totally insane.

#Paul

Reply to
news10paul

Are there enough there to do that? There seem to only be six available - I thought homebrew alternators typically used quite a lot more that.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

ou could only use them once.

I've seen some large permanent magnets that have a lever which somehow 'turns off' the magnet.

Reply to
alexander.keys1

Jonathan submitted this idea :

They also use the magnets sewn into the leather of the phone/pda/blackberry type cases, to close the flaps.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

As used on magnetic stands for gauges and magnetic clamps for machining steel.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

e, you could only use them once.

Yes

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Often all the lever does is move a cam which raises the magnet away from the casing so reducing the pull to something manageable.

Reply to
Skipweasel

In message , "Rick... (The other Rick)" writes

I couldn't resist

delivery in 4-6 days

Reply to
geoff