What sticks to stainless steel?

Try again :-]

I have a problem with our stainless steel sink counter-top. In one area th e top has become detached from the wooden base, and lifted slightly, affect ing the draining and causing water to pool. It doesn't take much force to push it down. I am thinking about drilling a couple of holes up through th e base from underneath and injecting some adhesive. What would be the righ t adhesive to use, i.e. what sticks to stainless steel?

Thanks Gib

Reply to
gib.bogle

The last stainless steel splash-back I saw came away from a wall with a lot of plaster. I can only assume they used something like No-Nails or an equivalent.

Reply to
Fredxxx

The usual adhesives for stainless steel are epoxy, acrylic or polyurethane resins.

Reply to
Nightjar

Every SS sink that I have ever come across was held in place mechanically w ith small clamps and screws with just a sealant around the edge. You sure i t is not one or two of these that have become loose or is it the counter to p itself that has become water damaged and swollen and bending the holding clamps?

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

The las SS sink I installed had the clips glued to the sink with some black gunk, probably polyurethane, rather than welded. Had to be extremely careful not to overtighten them :)

Reply to
Lee

What sort of stainless is it. Some actually is slightly ferrous, and a right pain, but if its good quality, I've found even contact adhesive works. One might ask why its sprung up in the first place though, is some other part of the supporting structure bent or rotten? Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Presumably he means ferritic; not a major transgression.

Reply to
newshound

I wonder what the "steel" refers to!

Perhaps "stainless" is different to "stainless steel"?

Reply to
Fredxxx

the top has become detached from the wooden base, and lifted slightly, affe cting the draining and causing water to pool. It doesn't take much force t o push it down. I am thinking about drilling a couple of holes up through the base from underneath and injecting some adhesive. What would be the ri ght adhesive to use, i.e. what sticks to stainless steel?

Based on my kitchen, limescale, grease, bits of potato... better question i s what doesn't ;)

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

I bought this used about 5 years ago, cut off a part that was not wanted, a nd installed it. There is not an issue of anything being rotten, but I sus pect it was not well bonded to the base to start with, and the rough treatm ent didn't help - uninstallation, cutting and reinstallation. I also suspe ct that the manufacture of an all-in-one sinks+counter-top can result in a surface that isn't dead flat to start with.

I couldn't say what sort of sta> What sort of stainless is it. Some actually is slightly ferrous, and a

Reply to
gib.bogle