What size nails for Joist hangers

Hi, Probably a simple couple of questions. I need to trim a joist (2 by 8 inches) and have some hangers

1) Do I have to bend the hanger over the top of the joist or can I just cut it (to the height of the joist) with tin snips.

2) the hanger has holes for two different size nails. Do I need to put a nail in every hole. What length/type nails do I need. I read somewhere that they should be hardened.

Thanks

Jim

Reply to
Jim Ingram

Bend it over the top of the joist - don't cut it.

You nail ALL of the holes. The usual nail to use is a 30mm sheradised square twist nail:-

John Rumm

Reply to
Adrian Chirgwin