What size cast iron fireplace should I fit?

We bought an Edwardian(1901) 3-bed semi last year which had the original cast iron fireplaces upstairs in the 3 bedrooms but downstairs in the 2 reception rooms they had sadly been replaced by rather unattractive 1970's fireplaces which I've removed. I'd like to fit original (or decent reproduction) cast iron fireplaces in these rooms but am unsure of the size but can probably guesstimate based on the size of the fireplace on the largest bedroom upstairs. In this bedroom the fireplace is 43" wide * 43" high and the chimney breast is 58" wide. The height of the ceiling in all rooms,upstairs and downstairs, is 9 feet. Downstairs the the chimney breasts are 64" wide , ie 6" wider than upstairs. The upstairs fireplaces are entirely made of cast iron whereas downstairs I would like fireplaces with tiled inserts and wooden mantle. I've seen one on sale locally which is 45" high * 51" wide. Do you think that this size would be in the correct proportion? ps. I'm trying to buy privately as I can't afford the price the fireplace shops in London charge. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Reply to
jgkgolf

Ideally a fireplace of Victorian/Edwardian era, 4" to 6" space either side of the chimney breast is a suitable arrangement so that 51" wide is quite suitable.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

While browsing in 'Borders' I chanced across two Haynes Manuals the Victorian House and the Thirties House. Both contained lots of info for understanding the build practises and restoration / maintenance of such properties.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

You can't base the size of fire downstairs with whatever is upstairs. Go to your fireplace shop and have a look at what they've got. You'll want the dimensions of the opening, too. There's probably some info. on-line - look for the "Gallery" range for a start. You may have some luck buying out-of-area (cheaper). I wouldn't buy an "antique" fireplace if you are going to actually use it.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Have you browsed ebay for fireplaces?

Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Shouldn't that be...

"I wouldn't buy an "antique" fireplace if I was going to actually use it". :-)