What size Allen key required for Rad Valve extensions?

I recently bought a (Fixed, 20mm) Rad valve extension for the first time. I saw that it required an allen key for fitting and assumed that my standard Radiator Key would fit. Not so, to my surprise and also that of the plumbers merchant I bought th extension from.

It looks like it need an Allen key of around 11.5mm AF. Is there an imperial equivalent size, and where do I get a key to fit please?

Thanks Jon N

Reply to
The Night Tripper

7/16 is 11.1mm

The other way is a flat steel strip filed to fit across opposite corners of the hexagon.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

There is a pukka tool to do the job it has a tapered hexagon at one end and a square with a recess at the other with a tommy bar in the middle. I think Monument make them and sell through Wolsely Centres plus other outlets.

Reply to
cynic

Hi there thanks for the replies. I've now seen the Monument tool (search for "universal radiator key".

I might measure the size properly (when I find my vernier) and buy a corresponding imperial Allen Key, if that's what it turns out to be - there are plenty on eBay. I recently inherited my late Father's extensive tool collection, including boxes and boxes of Allen keys, but surprisingly don't seem to have one to fit.

Regards Jon N

Reply to
The Night Tripper

The proper keys also usually have an end to deal with those that have a square section rather than hex.

Reply to
John Rumm

yes, my 'non-universal but standard' key has one of those. It was that key which doesn't fit, to my initial surprise.

I've measured the size as a 'just a whisker under 12mm' AF. My 12mm Socket head just doesn't fit. Bob minchin's suggestion of 7/16" sounds like it might be a bit small, but probably worth trying. I'm still surprised they make these adapters with such an unusual size hole...

Thanks Jon N

Reply to
The Night Tripper