What size

I am looking to build a surround for my new LCD TV. I am going to be building it, effectivly extending my chimney breast and also extending it on one size to centralise it. A couple of pictures of what someone else has done which is exactly what I am looking to do can be found below;

anyone know of any online docs about the recommended size of wood beams that should be used for such a contruction (i guess very similar to those used in stud walls.

Reply to
Rob Convery

Doh - finishing the heading would have been a good idea

Reply to
Rob Convery

That would surely depend on how deep the TV is? As the studs will be screwed into the wall, there is no size requirement for strength reasons. You probably want them about 50mm wide, as this makes screwing the plasterboard on easier, as you don't have to be particularly accurate with the screwing...

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

If you need the structure to be, say, 6" deep then use a some 6X2" timbers for the sides of the opening to give some rigidity and frame out the rest in CLS stud work. As you say, you're effectively building a stud partition.

Dave

p.s.

- thats not you is it, cause if it is I know you!

Reply to
Dave

Same as stud walls should be fine, but you need to make sure the chimney breast is adequately ventilated. If you were careful, you could get the ventilation 'round to the side if you are extending the side anyway. I would also try and build some storage into the side of the 'extended' bit, maybe for DVDs or whatever. Otherwise you are just throwing away space.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Remember that you need a good sized gap top and bottom to let the heat out.

Probably about 100mm wide and the width of the TV unless you are using fans.

Reply to
dennis

Cheers for the help - CLS =?

PS Nope thats not me.

Reply to
Rob Convery

He has left the recommended 100mm wide round the screen which is what the recommend. I will probably put 120mm just for safety

Reply to
Rob Convery

Cunning idea on the storage front. If Its deep enough to hide them then I like it alot. I will also be sinking in the centre speaker and also having an alcove below it for some arty farty stuff like candle + flowers etc

Reply to
Rob Convery

Would have been quite a coincidence!

CLS = Canadian Lumber Standard (I think) - it's the timber you get that's rounded on the edges, used extensively for stud work.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I assumed that came from somewhere much hotter, or at least somewhere with woodworm some 10 times the size of ours, based on the holes in one batch of it I saw in the sheds.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It might be the Canadian's standard, but that doesn't mean that's where it was grown! Loads of it comes from the Scandanavian region.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

In message , Rob Convery wrote

screen should be at eye level when seated.

Reply to
Alan