What should I use to clean my hands?

A slight problem with a spray on adhesive used on the backing boards for an electric UFH mat caused the backing board to melt and stick to my hands.

Best guess is it looks like melted polystyrene.

The meths has failed to clean it so I will drink that tonight:-)

Any other suggestions for cleaning the hands?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

nail polish remover

Reply to
Phil L

acetone or cellulose thinner possibly mixed with washing up liquid.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Got any expanding foam cleaner? That's mostly acetone...

Reply to
John Rumm

Angle grinder.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

aka acetone...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

WD40?

Reply to
Dave N

no.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If I have any it will me in the gfs bedside cabinet. I may be some time.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

No.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Sorted. I used the petrol for my hedge cutter.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Just as well you don't smoke ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Don't do it! Remember the trouble you had cleaning the makeup off last time!

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Angle grinder.

Any of the styrene* solvents should get it, but since most of them are pretty noxious you might want to leave it to just wear off. The solvent sold for traditional old formula Hammerite is probably your best bet.

  • xylene, styrene, benzene, toluene, various CFCs (now banned)

If you have none of the above then try petrol as a last resort. (and maybe before benzene)

Next time wear gloves!

Reply to
Martin Brown

boards

No, next time check for compatibily between the backing board and proposed adhesive. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That might be true for Adam; they certainly haven't seen all of mine.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

If it really is polystyrene, then acetone is your friend but it pongs, needs plenty of ventilation and dries the skin summut terrible, assuming you can get any.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

how many have you got ?

Reply to
John Rumm

In article , ARWadsworth writes

It sounds like a thin coating?

To avoid destroying your skin with solvents I'd try rubbing cooking oil into the skin and glue film surface. It seems to work well for me in displacing or loosening whatever shit I have on my hands then you remove the oil with a bit of washing up liquid.

Reply to
fred

In article , fred writes

Oh, add some salt as an abrasive if needed.

Reply to
fred