WHAT SDS?

For the purposes of jobs like removing wall tiles and concrete fence posts, is an SDS drill with chisel action the tools for the job? Has anyone got any recommendations for make and model?
Steve Barnes wrote:

Yes.
DeWalt DW566 - great machine, light, powerful, good price at 120.
--
Grunff

DW566 has been a popular tool in these parts for some time now - however, any idea how it compares to the Makita HR2450?
The Mak retails for about 125, has rotation stop, but is 780W (DW: 650W) & capable of 2.7J (DW: 0 - 2.4J). Slightly heavier though at 2.4Kg (DW: 2.3Kg)
cheers Richard
-- Richard Sampson

You should have seen the smile on my other half's face when she started taking tiles off with my cheap as chips NuTool. She had spent 5 minutes removing 2 tiles as tiny slivers with cold chisel and hammer. With the SDS chisel, the tiles came of whole, taking all of 2 seconds each. I have never tried chopping concrete fence posts with them, though. Would have thought a large angle grinder would be more suited.
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

Small world! My wife was doing exactly the same with our new cheap as chips (well, 47 portions) NuTool yesterday with probably a similar grin.
Cheers Tim

Where? More info.

Christian McArdle wrote:

Trickey thing there can be most fence posts have steel reinforcement - not sure what your stone cutting disk will make of them.
You could opt for the clomp the base of the post with a sledge hammer so that the concrete falls off approach, and then use the angle grinder with a metal cutting disk for the reinforcing wires.
--
Cheers,

John.

40 Argos special- taken out large concrete doorstep, nasty 50's concrete fireplace, chased electrics thru brick and plaster, took down a brick wall and drilled for 22mm copper pipe.
nothing's fallen off it yet.
Question to everyone tho- should SDS rotostop actually lock the bit in place or just not spin it round?
ta BAX

Some do some don't.

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:34:05 +0100, Baxter Basics wrote:

My Bosch 100 Argos locks the bit at any particular rotation, there is a posistion before powered rotation starts that allows you to turn the bit manually to the desired orientation.
I would have through trying to chisel stuff without the bit locked would be a somewhat uncontrolled affair.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail