What's your most unpleasant DIY task

No thats just the fumes you like? ;-)

I hate painting in vinyl silk. That was a mistake and a half! It skinned over and was very gross. Also smelt horrid too.

Reply to
mogga

Defnitely anythung that produces quantities of dust, and has to be dne in the icy cold and wet.

Like cuttng up concrete slabs in winter.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh, I had one like hat laying discotehque lighting wires in a suspneded eceing over a kitchen area.

Congealed fat and dirt everywhere. Fortunately we were on te top floor of a 30 stortey bulding. The building manager said 'its worse lower down where all the soil pipes have open up due to building expansion'

Haha.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hi,

AFICT the ink is water based. I found refilling the cart and standing it in a warmed saucer with some ink in it, followed by blowing through the vent holes cleared the nozzles on mine.

If the cart has sponge in it, then using anything other than ink can give a washed out printout for a while.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

In message , IMM writes

No, I'm talking about DIMM Fukka I think he calls himself IMM or Adam or something

Reply to
raden

Thes days I'd simply rip the ceiling down, whack up new boards and get a plasterers in.

couple of days and 150 quid against several days of hassles and you probly still need to replaster anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I went loooking in teh supermarket, and found just one product that contains ammonia.

Its around, but yu have too hunt..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And then you won;t get your Christmas shag.

So watch it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Problem is I'm averse to paying anyone to do the work - if I ever get my act together I can do it myself. Plasterboard and a skim coat would probably be easiest, but it's plaster on lath and I'd like to keep it that way if I can. Anyway I really need a shed to store the stuff that's in there now before I can clear the room and finish it. :-(

Reply to
Rob Morley

I once watched a neighbour replace a 2 foot section of a live 9 inch sewer pipe !!

The JCB driver had cracked the pipe whilst digging footings for an extension, my neighbour decided to make the repair himself (which was possibly a foolish thing to do !!). From what we could make out, the sewer served a bunch of houses across the road.

There he was stood in the bottom of a 2 metre deep footing with a petrol stihl saw cutting out the 2 foot section whilst turds and the like were flowing down the pipe ! He managed to replace the damaged pipe and get two rubber joining sleeves on.

As you can imagine, by this time the footings were full of all kinds of unmentionables !!, and the spray off the stihl saw blade was well worth avoiding !!!

Oh well, I'm glad MY house doesn't flow into that pipe !!

Meery Christmas all,

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

No up stream manhole where you could block the flow for the 15mins to hack out and replace? Takes quite a while to back up far enough to be a problem.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message ikUyd.199$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-win.ntli.net From: Paul ( snipped-for-privacy@campbellsci.co.uk)

Nice. :/

I'd dig around and under damaged pipe, put the broken bits back in place, and pour concrete gently over the lot. No cutting live pipes, no turd play.

Diy is sometimes disgusting, sometimes scary, sometimes a major pita, and sometimes a risk, but I have no intention of giving it up.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton