What's this under the wallpaper?

Started stripping some wallpaper prior to redecoration and discovered what looks like tin foil on the walls:

Wide shot:

layers of paper just peeled off it without even being wetted, which seems a bit of an odd feature in a lining paper / base layer.

It's a 1930's house. I don't think the "tin foil" extends beyond the chimney breast. Judging by the oldest layer of paper (that grey one on either side of the chimney breast), I'd say the "foil" has been there some considerable time.

Anyone any idea what it is / why it was put there? And what the black stuff underneath it is? The black stuff feels waxy although it doesn't rub off on your fingers so I don't know whether the waxiness is residual paste from the "foil".

Thanks for any info.

Reply to
mike

Foil backed plasterboard to control mould growth?

Reply to
Adrian C

Without looking, I can tell you that it's a damp proofing measure. If the house has been chemically damp proofed, it can be removed

Reply to
Phil L

It's an upstairs bedroom, internal wall that faces the adjoining semi. And the house has a physical dpc from when it was built. Why would an upstairs chimney breast be damp proofed? The fire is obviously unused but it just has newspaper / some cardboard up there to minimise the draft: I would've though there was sufficient residual airflow to ventilate the chimney.

Reply to
mike

Why it was used I don't know, but it's damp-proofing lining foil - still available:

used it in the distant past on a ground-floor chimney breast showing signs of mild damp - worked well

Reply to
Norman Billingham