What's this type of fence called?

I used to have a garden fence constructed as follows:

  • 4" x 4" posts at approx 6' intervals
  • 6" x 1" planks running horizontally, nailed to one side of the posts, with a 4" gap between planks
  • Similar planks on the other side, centred on the gaps

This makes a fence which you cannot see through, but the wind can get through the gaps making it less susceptible to wind damage.

Does this type of construction have a name?

Reply to
Roger Mills

I think it might be called "hit and miss" fencing. I saw some on an architect's drawing and it was called that - but the planks ran vertically

Reply to
Murmansk

I've always known it as ranch fencing.

Reply to
neil

It is referred to on my Planning consent as Staggered vertical boarded fence

Reply to
Rick

Odd, since the boards are horizontal..

Still, that's planning for you.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's 'meant' to be vertical - when it's horizontal is often known as a 'ladder'

Reply to
Phil L

Well I thought it was that, but when I Googled for Ranch Fence it came up with something more akin to a post and rail fence.

Reply to
Roger Mills

It's called "Hit and Miss" fencing;

Huge

Interesting! It's not quite the same though. My fence didn't have panels

- just horizontal boards nailed to the posts, and butted end to end so that you didn't see much of the posts.

Reply to
Roger Mills