What's this component called?

It's a pin used to stop something like a wheel falling off the end of a shaft, - like a split-pin does, except this is spring-loaded and re-usable, sort-of like this: __ / \ | / | / |/ || | \ | / || | \

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

In message , Lobster writes

It's an *R* clip for fairly obvious reasons:-) Found at any agricultural outlet in packs of mixed sizes. Don't know about other sources.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Reply to
cbruce

Looks like a kirby grip, you may be bald and have never had to use one before

Reply to
Rusty Nail

============================ They're an alternative version of the common split pin:

Cicero

?

R clip, as Tim says.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Definately an 'R' clip. As Tim said, agricultural engineers/tractor dealers. Farm implements are held together by R clips.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Tip-top ascii art that man!

Reply to
dom

R pins come from screwfix, car shops and motorcycle shops, caravan shops etc.

Reply to
mrcheerful

Excellent ASCII !

As others have said, an R clip. One of the most useful fastenings ever invented IMHO.

Grunff

What sort of size is it, you can get for many things. from holder the top on a model radio controlled car, to locating pins for big trailers!

Reply to
Tim Morley

Radio control model shops :)

Reply to
Tim Morley

because I wanted to place a Screwfix order but couldn't find this item (however as I want a single large one, rather than 75 of various sizes, I may need to visit the ironmonger's insteads!

David

Reply to
Lobster

|It's a pin used to stop something like a wheel falling off the end of a |shaft, - like a split-pin does, except this is spring-loaded and |re-usable, sort-of like this: | __ | / \ | | / | | / | |/ | || | | \ | | / | || | | \

Hair grip ;-)

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

So what do bald people use to pick wax out of their ears ?

Reply to
Colin Wilson

And in smaller sizes, from model shops that do model car racing spares. And in bigger sizes from real car racing places. They are used as bonnet catches..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There's posh!

Binder twine and tack weld more likely.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

They are used on the hydraulic arms at the back of tractors to help retain fixing arms on ploughs etc. I remember them well although it must be 40 years since I last sat on a tractor.

Dave

Reply to
gort

The message from Colin Wilson contains these words:

Retractable biros. Start with the nib retracted, do the business, then eject the core by extending the nib.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Owain contains these words:

Don't forget the fencing wire.

Reply to
Guy King