What's the trick for painting front doors?

So what was the trick? I find that even the quick drying water-based paints take far longer than the claim on the can to dry to the point where surfaces can be put against each other without sticking (then pulling bits off). I'm a bit constrained on this one, as I have to keep the same colour (-ish) due to conservation area rules, though I'm very tempted to strip it right back to wood as the finish seems to have poor adhesion to the primer/undercoat beneath it.

Reply to
GMM

Siliconised paper? You can buy that as a non-stick cooking sheet.

Reply to
Nightjar

It's also available in a 2 or 3 inch wide roll (for lining the sides of cake tins)- much easier than cutting sheets of the stuff and taping them together.

Reply to
S Viemeister

It wasn't any trouble.

Yup. That works too. I was able to get the door from Freecycle; I didn't have a suitable size piece of ply (doesn't need to be all *that* weather resistant - I only took a couple of weeks to strip and paint the door with slow-drying linseed paint).

Reply to
Martin Bonner