What's the theory...?

What's the theory behind touching a car remote control to ones head to improve the range ?

We have a remote control for the garage door which for convenience is held in a little holder beside the back door. It used to work while still fitted in its little holster but of late it has to be removed and pointed at the garage after opening the back door. If I hold it to my head without opening the back door it works fine, So how can I simulate holding it to my head ?

The receiver for the signal is just a light wire held up from the motor box on the wall of the garage.

I've tried a new battery in the remote control but it had little effect.

Wonder if glueing a bit of foil to the inside of its little holster would do any good. Must try that.

Reply to
fred

The theory is that head-height is higher than you normally hold the remote fob.

Reply to
Andy Burns

No idea - but it appears to work.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Probably a combination of holding at higher than normal position, combined with you head acting as a ground plane for the aerial.

Reply to
John Rumm

You often see people "pointing" the key at the vehicle as they would an infra red handset, but there is no reason to suppose an RF remote key will work better that way. Quite the contrary in fact, if the aerial is the metallic key, or a separate wire in the same orientation as the metallic key, then in theory, it should work best at right angles to the vehicle's direction the actual plane depending on the polarisation of the receiving aerial, but the end of the transmitting aerial pointing directly at, or directly away from the car are the worst positions. As I said,

*in theory* :-)
Reply to
Graham.

I use one of those wireless 'presenters' that talks to a USB dongle and controls a Powerpoint presentation.

I was using it a couple of weeks ago in a 300 seat lecture theatre. I was standing on the far side from the PC, and it stopped working. I eventually worked out that it was because it was behind my back!

Must lose some weight...

Reply to
Bob Eager