What's the life of...

A house burglar alarm battery. SLA type. Never once needed since no power cuts since installed so just sitting there on float.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Depends. If it's on a sunny wall, it'll last a little less time.

5 years it _should_ usually be OK. 10 years, it'll usually have failed, or need replaced very soon.
Reply to
Ian Stirling

Thanks for that. It's at the top of the cellar stairs which have a door at the entrance, so no heat to speak of.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you own a multimeter, and a suitable 12v(?) light bulb, it's fairly simple to test. Find a bulb that'll discharge the battery in 5 hours (Ah rating /5, so a

5Ah battery will need a 1A bulb). Now, monitoring every hour or so, measure how long it takes to get to 11V. It should be 3-4 hours.
Reply to
Ian Stirling

Yes - I could do that. But modern car batteries seem to just die overnight with no warning - I've had the most recent two do just this - so I was more interested in a rule of thumb for SLA type's life.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I fitted an alarm at both my brothers house and his next door neighbours over the same weekend. My brothers battery went down after about 2 years. The alarms PSU was buzzing loudly and changing the battery cured the fault. His next door neighbours is still fine after 5 years. I have a battery in my parents alarm that is over 7 years old and still works when I kill the power to do some work.

I think a car battery will fail anytime after the warranty and only on a morning when you must be somewhere important at a specific time.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth