What's it called - Lighting flex fixing

I'm looking for a ceiling fixing that can be used to move the mounting point for a pendant lamp on a long cable without moving the ceiling rose.

From memory these were available as a small plate fixed to the ceiling with a slotted bush fitted to the underside, the pendant flex passed through the slot in the bush and was secured with a blunt ended grubscrew in the end of it.

A bit like this:

________________________________________________ \___/ Ceiling rose _X Thingy \____________________/ | Flex | | | | / \ Pendant |_|

Any idea of the name or a current source?

We're not moving the ceiling rose.

Reply to
fred

B&Q do a small hook which slides onto a mounting plate. The mounting plate fixed to the ceiling by a single fixing. Of course it doesn't clamp the cable - but makes a neat enough job of what you want.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

cup hook?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Plug in ceiling rose?

The cover unscrews as normal but the flex is on a plug underneath it.

Reply to
harryagain

Very popular in the latter 1960's...

I have thrown away several which have come out of IKEA pendants, but they aren't "pretty" - they're intended to be hidden by a cover which slides up the flex to form a poor man's ceiling rose, as commonly used in a number of other countries where a pendant hangs from a hook.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

I've used purpose made ceiling hooks for other light fittings but for this one I think the risk of dislodgement on an open hook and the consequences of damage to a glass shade are too great.

Reply to
fred

In article , Andrew Gabriel writes

That's them ;-)

Yes, that's another alternative, I could use the hook and mask it with a spare rose cover with a side entry cutout for a cover. I think there's a spare ikea rose cover hanging about somewhere.

Reply to
fred

fred :

Cable tie anchor. Virtually invisible.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Cable tie round the hook?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or use an hook eye and thread the cable through not a cup hook.

Can't see any point in a fake ceiling rose set up. It'll still look crap with the cable running from the real ceiling rose, may as well just admit it's a bodge with an eye or hook.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

Yes, I was being a bit precious in thinking that would look naff but I'm sure a very small one in natural would do fine.

Now moving over to the idea of some kind simple/ugly ceiling fixing (inc cable tie!) masked by a spare rose cover.

Reply to
fred

The one like that at the head of our stairs has been there for 20 years and no-one's ever noticed it ...

Reply to
Huge

or possibly they all thought "christ look at the state of that" but thought it best not to poke your ego... ;>)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Helps if you actually read the question...

Reply to
Toby

Then a full loop instead of a hook and add a spring carabiner?

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW