What's eating my lagging?

Hi all I paid a rare visit to my loft today in search of Xmas stuff, and noticed some damage to the lagging on my cold pipes. Something's had a good nibble at the old sacking stuff, and also a few pecks are evident on the newer foam. I've posted pictures here

here
first suspected squirrels (we have a few grey ones about, though I've never been aware of them getting in), then birds. But there aren't any droppings nearby, and we do have a wasps' nest at the other side of the loft from summer 04.

Does this look familiar to anyone? What could it be, and what's the best action? Ken

Reply to
Ken

Doesn't look anything like squirrel damage, if it was those sods, there'd be stuff chewed up all over the place - cable, lagging, insulation, splinters from joists all over the place, you name it. You'd also hear a flippin' loud noise up in the loft, like people playing football. If there aren't any droppings, then I don't know. Mice deposit very small sausage-shaped droppings, up to about (1/8" long, usu. black). Rat droppings are much bigger,

3/8" or so long proportionate to a grain of rice, brown to black. Squirrel droppings are much more angular and different sizes. Very unlikely to be birds. Not wasps. Investigate further, see if you can find droppings, or other evidence. You could try leaving food in a patch of flour. Could it be something done by a person?
Reply to
Chris Bacon

I agree squirrels aren't tidy...

Yep, but the mice round here love to nibble the foamy insulation and reduce a section say 3" long, half way round the pipe and half the thickness it to a pile of little bits. The damage to the foamy stuff doesn't look like mouse to me. As the OP said pecked and the fact that the nice nesting material has been taken...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's what I was thinking. Leave a tray with talc or soemthing in the way of the suspect. You can then see the footprints.

It's either that or a long cord to your computer for your video camera.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Find out where they are getting in, and fix mesh there. Fix mess right along the eves vents.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

hmm looks like elephant teeth marks, don't tend to make too much noise in the loft though ;o)

Reply to
reg