What Pressure Shower Pump?

I am looking at installing a shower with a separate pump feeding the mixer. I know I cannot expect a definitive answer to this question, as it will depend on the mixer and head selection - but... Which pressure rating pump to go for?

I see offerings as high as 3 Bar (45psi). On a gravity only shower (@ 0.4psi per foot) you'd be lucky to see 4psi for an upstairs installed shower. There is a huge gulf between the two!

I am looking for a decent flow/pressure suitable for bath end use. I have experienced showers which all but make you bleed and drag the shower curtain inwards, such is the velocity of the spray! Having young children, this spec of machine could spell disaster of flood proportions.

So the question is - what is a sensible spec of pump for family shower use? Can anyone recommend a unit from personal experience? What are the noise levels like?

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Any power shower pump would have sufficient flow and pressure for a normal mixer shower. You only need the bigger sizes for multiple installations, or where it is just a result of getting a higher quality product.

I had the basic (1.2 bar?) Newteam Showerforce single impellor pump. It blasted out of the shower head and filled a bath in under two minutes.

When choosing a mixer, ensure you choose a type with separate flow and temperature controls. These have two major advantages. Firstly, you can have it at less than full blast. Secondly, it doesn't forget the temperature, so you don't have to fiddle around with it every time you get in.

Generally, people recommend Stuart Turner for quality.

Loud.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I think that you would be fine with something in the 1.4 to 1.8 bar range.

Try a Stuart Turner Showermate 1.8bar twin. I have one of these for one of my bathrooms.

may not be the best price, though

Stuart Turner are a very much better quality product than anything you will find in DIY stores.

This particular model is very quiet because it is encased in a sound deadening foam, but it is quiet anyway.

The shed ones tend to be very noisy.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Where would I be without you guys and this group?

In a flooded dump I suppose!

Thanks once again fellas

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

that with the 1.4bar pump the hot water take-off from the cylinder is at the top but with the 1.8bar it's at the side. I assume this is because the higher rate pump could pull air down from the expansion pipe before the cylinder has chance to fill up from the bottom. A bit of a pain really, I was looking at getting the 1.8bar pump but I'll have to go for the smaller one now.

Rgds

Andy R

Reply to
Andy R

You may find this varies in practice. Whether or not you can use the standard takeoff, must use a flange, or whether even a flange isn't good enough, will depend on your current installation as well as the pump.

The really important thing is to ensure that the cold feed to the cylinder has a good connection to the cold water tank. Best is a wide bore pipe with full bore lever valves, fewer, but flowed, bends and short runs (especially when running horizontally).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I originally had mine (1.8) hooked up to a Surrey flange on the top of the cylinder and it was fine.

I think they are just showing alternatives.

Call their technical dept if you are uncertain.