What Paint for Picket Fencing?

I need to paint white some planned-wood picket fencing . I've done a couple of panels using acrylic primer with nothing else over it - but it doesn't have a mould preventer so will probably become green stained.

Can anybody suggest a paint? preferably not one that cracks or peels and needs scraping down before recoating.

thanks

Davy

Reply to
Davy

almost anything will pick up a lichen coat in time.

You need to think in terms of a biennial repaint IMHO.

A good quality acrylic gloss maybe?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ranch Paint

Tony

Reply to
TMC

The best white Mildew Proof exterior paint is Zinsser Perma but its ridiculously expensive

use sadolin Superdec
just needs a quick recoat every few years to keep it looking good and is reasonably priced.

Reply to
Mark

is

Mark, I like the look of the Zinsser; only about 20% more expensive than Sadolin. But needs a Zinsser primer coat in addition to 2 top coats - so three days work! Encouraged by the Sadolin Superdec, especially since you recommend it from experience. What usually prompts you to recoat it? - dirt, black mould, flaking? or what? I am a bit surprised that there are no British manufacturers of mildew resistant paint. thanks Davy

Reply to
Davy

is

The Zinsser looked like a premium price (£12 per litre) premium product until I did an internet search and found that American hardware stores sell it for approx £6 per litre ! Another example of rip-off Britain?

Davy

Reply to
Davy

It doesn't crack or flake badly just seems to wear off and look tired after

3-4 years, the Sadolin is easy to apply and quick drying [1] so its easy to give it another refresher coat. I love the look of exterior painted wood but only if it looks pristine. [1] I now use Linseed paints on windows, but they are expensive, take an age to dry, quite hard to apply as you can only put on a very thin coat, so not really suitable for picket fencing.

-

Reply to
Mark