What paing best for tyrolean harl

Hi,

I'm about to paint a fairly large exterior wall. It was built in the 1960s and rendered with what I think was called 'Tyrolean harl' - they used a 'spatter box' to sort of sprat (spatter) the surface coating, resulting in a fine grain harl. The harl colour originally was cream in colour but now is dirty and streaked, and won't wash off with a high pressure water gun, so I want to paint it.

I'm not a painter, so the problem I have is what product to choose. Can anybody advise or recommend a suitable paint (coating) for the job. Also do these coating cover in one coat or am I likely to need to apply more coats. I would assume it would be best to apply it using a roller (?) If it helps the wall size is approximately 12M x 5M

Any advice much appreciated,

Neil

Reply to
neilr

Any good quality masonry paint (I use Dulux Weathershield but ymmv). Brush off loose stuff and apply some anti fungal stuff first. You will probably need two coats and may have to use a brush (depending on the surface texture) - it will soon become clear!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

I painted mine with sandtex exterior paint. 'Sea Silver'

Its not so much the paint, as how you apply it.

We thinned down a LOT for the first coat (40/60 eater/paint IIRC)to get it in the crannies. Even then a lot of wibbling with the brush was required. If you have a spreyer I'd be temped to use that.

The next two coats went on slightly thinned, and out the tin straight. With I think mainly a large fluffy roller.

Use a brush to cut in round frames etc of coures.

Results are superb.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Wibbling?

:-)

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

Hi

You won't clean it just with high pressure water - you need a specific detergent called Traffic Film Remover or TFR. Spray on first via the HPC's detergent system, you need a solution between 2% and 5%.

Apply from bottom up, rinse from top down.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

resulting in a

I used a brush; there is a specific design of brush for masonry paint - I can't see how a roller would work with a Tyrolean surface IME.

Sandtex is one of the long established brand names and the one that I used 30 years ago when painting my parent's house. Their website has pretty good instructions as PDFs.

One thing they point out is that high pressure water cleaning can cause deep water penetration into the surface and this may take several sunny weeks to dry off before you trap it by painting over it. As you've tried HP spraying already, you may want to leave those test areas to make sure they're thoroughly dry before you seal the damp inside the wall.

Reply to
OG

Mmm. duno a better word. Rotating motion backwards and forwards and round and round?

Family word in my wifes family for generally behaving like a headless chicken.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I can't eiher, but it does. Some of them do anyway. Songe wont work, but some of the fluffy sort seem to.

But s I said, a brush is needed on the first coat to fill teh hollows. They look murky andway, so if they dobn't pick up as much paint as the highlights, its no big deal.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher