What options for kitchen floor over floorboards??

I'm in a flat on the 2nd floor. Ideally I'd like a stone kitchen floor, but what I have is floorboards, so something has to go over that. So what are my options? I'd be OK with a decent wood floor - lino is possible but would have to be pretty good, don't know about mosaic or other things.

Are there any floor tiles that can go over wooden flooring and still look good? Any that don't shatter - I'm worried that tiles only go over a sand or cement base.

Any ideas for a good looking floor? And then where to get it in the W.London area?

- thanks, guys. Andy

Reply to
Eusebius

Tiles are possible if ply is screwed to the boards first (or the boards are replaced with ply to keep the level), but Marmoleum might be worth a look. IME conversion flats can be a problem with regard to kitchen plumbing leaks. It's as well to use something that won't immediately allow water through on to the downstairs ceiling

Reply to
stuart noble

Reply to
Eusebius

Marmoleum might be worth a > look. > IME conversion flats can be a problem with regard to kitchen plumbing > leaks. It's as well to use something that won't immediately allow water

Good advice. I came across this site which has a lot of info. The Caralium caught my eye, as well as the Marmoleum. I guess both these can be laid on a wood surface if it's level.

Eusebius

Has to be flat and smooth, which usually involves hardboard or ply over the boards. Marmoleum is a bugger to cut if you're thinking of d-i-y

Reply to
stuart noble

Do I need to go as far as marine ply? If so, what thickness?

Can you tell me more about Marmoleum, since I was thinking of DIY. Individual tiles would be easier to fit, I would have thought - easier to cut into corners etc. Is this right?

Andy

Reply to
Eusebius

Hard and brittle. It cracks if you bend it too far and takes several scores with a knife before it starts to cut. The only time I laid it the long edges went under the units so I only had one short edge to cut, and that went under a new skirting.

Yes. If the kitchen units are already in place, I'd say that's your best option. Use something that can stand having a washing machine dragged across it and be sure to tile the bit under the washing machine.

Reply to
stuart noble