What network for holiday phone data use

It's all vectors not bitmaps now (except the so-called satellite view) therefore you can zoom in and out as required.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Basic means free when part foa cheap contract...

Offline?

4 GB is a lot of data for ordianry web browsing/email. But not if you are into watching streamed/downloaded video.

Aye, it doesn't take much to bring the mobile networks down to a crawl. 10,000 people all in one place will do it, even if that place has regular gatherings of that size.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Cheap contract != free - like I said originally, I'm not interested in getting a contract phone.

Probably not.

Streaming video onto a phone isn't going to be that important to me :-)

I remember sitting in Kings Cross when there was a problem with trains - very crowded, lots of people failing to talk.

Reply to
Clive George

*And* you can select much bigger areas to download in one go than you used to be able to do.
Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks guys, seems the offline side may almost be useable these days, it wasn't the last time I tried. When I say useable, only for roads, other information on google maps is still very sparse to non-existant.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Do have a look at "Here" maps ... road mapping for most of the world is available to download FOC and, once downloaded, it works off-line. I first used it when it was Nokia Maps on an N95 and on a variety of Android phones since then, currently a Note4 and a tablet ... highly recommended.

Reply to
nospam

Thanks, I shall take a look.

Reply to