What nails for hardboard ?

I am going to nail hardboard down onto floorboards in preparation for vinyl flooring. What sort of nails .... flat head or hidden ?

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Hidden - otherwise the heads will eventually show through the vinyl. Better yet stick it down with double-sided [1] carpet tape.

[1] Blue Peter strikes again!
Reply to
Skipweasel

Hidden, and screw into the mesh side (they will sink in). Or you can use small screws if you want. The nails should be rink shank, so they don't pull out. Also, put something soft (e.g. an old sheet or newspaper) between the floorboards and the hardboard or you will get squeaks. If you lay it damp, it will tighten up and you will avoid wrinkles. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I'd recommend a small electric nail gun. Much quicker than doing by hand

Reply to
newshound

... but less environmentally friendly... :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

In article , newshound writes

That's what I used last time but as the HB is soft some have pulled thro' and there is some noise when treading on the affected area, think I'll use staples next time.

Reply to
fred