what kinda Paint for Home cinema Wall

I got a video projector for me xmas But rather than put up a screen @ metres wide I thought Id just pait a big rectangle does anyone know if I can get a special paint for the job as a comparable screen would cost about 400 pound. or would a tin of white emulsion just do?

Reply to
Alan The Braw

LCD projectors need all the help they can get.

A serviceable screen should cost a lot less than £400. Projector screens have a special textured surface, but this company is also offering special screen paint :-

brugnospamsia

What size screen do you want? I am pretty sure I have suppliers that do them at way under that price...

Reply to
John Rumm

I'd be tempted to try a tin of brilliant matt white first. If it's not up to much you haven't wasted a lot of money, but if it does the job you'll have saved hundreds.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Trouble is with paint, the surface you paint has got to be pretty nigh on perfectly smooth not hairline cracks or bumps etc or they show. If the surface is good then it's certainly worth a try but when the projector isn't in use you have this big white patch on the wall... A screen can be rolled up into a small box at ceiling level.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

True. Depends where the projector's going to be sited too - if it's in a dedicated cinema room then a painted wall wouldn't be a problem. I'd be tempted to have leccy curtains :)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

I'd use a quality matt emulsion, such as Dulux Trade. I'd be tempted to spray, though. At least consider a roller. Brush or pad marks could be distracting if they catch the light.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

If you just paint the wall, any imperfections would be noticeable. A better (fairly cheap) solution is to make a strong wooden frame and stretch and staple "Blackout material" (available from curtain warehouses such as Dunelm Mill, costs about £10 - 15 for enough for a six foot wide screen) to it. The blackout material is actually white and when stretched over the frame it looks very professional. An outer frame (painted matt black) is then fitted over it and the screen is attached to a wall with small metal brackets. You can find plans etc for this method on the web.

Dave

Reply to
logized

I've had a projector for a few years now and have projected on to just about all types of surface.

A matt white painted surface is easily good enough especially if you can control other light sources. In other words get a set of fairly heavy curtains for the window. Modern projectors are bright enough that a little ambient light isn't a problem - I have even watched shows in the day time with the curtains open and our projector is only 1200 lumen's.

Obvious bumps in the wall will be visible but you would be surprised what you can get away with. It doesn't have to be billiard ball table flat. A word of warning though - if you have obvious vertical ripples you may get a little motion sickness when the film pans.

The problem I had with a painted wall was that you can't do anything else with it and if you have a large screen area it can look a little odd to not have pictures or such up. The other problem is that it can be quite limiting regarding where you are placing your projector.

I wanted to re-arrange my set-up a couple of months ago and didn't want to spend the cash buying a "real" screen so I investigated making my own. I found that you can pick up a screen roughly the size of the one I made for about 200 GBP but a decent one would be more like 400. I made mine for < £30 and I am very chuffed with it.

If you read the AV forums they suggest that a stretched piece of blackout material is better. I would agree but of course it means it isn't retractable.

Graham

Alan The Braw wrote:

Reply to
doozer

[...]

Alan The Braw wrote:

Reply to
doozer

Hi,

The gubbins of a cheap cordless drill would make a good screen raising/lowering mechanism.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C