what joint?

Hi

I'm putting a sort of 'stage ' in my garage to give me storage space high up. I was hoping to use materials I have left after other jobs, but this would mean joining 3 pieces of 9inch by 2 inch on edge ( to form a u shape) for the supports. Halving joints will only give me a 1 inch thickness which I don't think will do. What is considered the best way to do this joint. I will put a metal plate across the join, but as it will need to take my not inconsiderable weight and lots of 'stored stuff' I am nervous about it. As the timber is 9 inches across I would need to bore 5 inches in to do what I would usually do in this situation if I use 4 inch screws. There will be a ¾ ply floor over it and all the timber will be screwed to this.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
gaz

You lost me there.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Have little idea what youre doing, suggest drawing and explain properly.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

If you want to keep the full strenth of the timber you should not cut it. Rather than a halving or tenon hav eyou considered using a metal join? There are suitable joiners made by a company called Joiners (or Joyners, I forget) which are galvanised brackets used to support the join. These make extremely strong joins. An alternative may be a strap on the outside of the join and a 90 degree angle bracket on the inside.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yea, this is more or less what I did. I put a steel plate each side and coach bolts through. As I said, I wanted to use up what I had here rather than get more in.

I did not make clear what I wanted to do. I wanted to join the 'end' of a

9x2 to the 'edge' of a 9x2 to give me a u shape 2 inches 'thick' if it was laying on the ground. Not the best way to explain it sorry, but its done now. thanks for the replys.
Reply to
gaz