What is this tool called please?

And please don't tell me to Google.

A neighbour had an engineer in to find a fault on her ch system.

I was impressed by a tool he had, it was screwdriver sized with a screwdriver-like handle but when he put the tip near a conduit or trunking which carried a live electricity supply the tip glowed red.

Although I asked him twice I didn't understand the word he used and didn't want to stop him working, the poor neighbour has been without heating and hot water for two weeks and needed the job to be done.

TIA

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Usualy called a volt stick, or possibly a voltstick.

Beware, heaven is full of people who trusted these things! If you get one for self/spouse/son/etc. then just use it as a first check and always double check it on a know good live and dead cable to make sure it is operating correctly.

Very useful for diagnosing problems with xmas lights though.

Reply to
zikkimalambo

Thank you.

I hadn't thought about getting one but was curious.

Don't use them :-)

Not 100% true, we have a string of tiny white outdoor lights which we trail over a leafless shrub near the back door. It looks very pretty at night. If they die they won't be replaced but we've used them for years. They came free with something so long ago I can't remember.

A couple of years ago we had them draped round a large fir tree growing on daughter's farm in Wales so that we could see it from our caravan. Because there was no light pollution it was stunning, especially in the snow.

Sorry, rambling :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Hi Mary. I have something like this and find it very useful. Mines called a Powertracer and you can get one from any electrical supplier who supplies the trade or follow this link

Basso

stick' which seems to be a brand name but might be what the Ideal man said.

After thinking about it a son might find one useful in his work - but if he'd needed one he'd probably already have it. I'll ask.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You sure it was Fluke Stick he said .Was it not For XXXX's sake ..lol

Reply to
Stuart

There's a screwdriver which looks a bit like a mains tester, but has a battery, amp and LED built in. This will sense volts running in a cable without direct connection. And safely test fuses etc. I've seen then in the sheds and Maplin, etc. Less than a fiver. Has its uses, but not to be relied upon with safety issues.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, it sounded like Fluke. Fluke is a maker, apparently.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The big advantage of this tools is that it does not require direct contact or dismantling. It can't be relied upon 100% although it will show a change between on and off which can be very useful.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Yes, and Rolls-Royce are just another car maker.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

They are indeed. Makers of possibly the finest DVMs etc in the world. Google will tell you all this. ;-)

This is probably what you saw:-

Dave Plowman (News)

Nice to see you, Andy!

At first I didn't understand (not long since I oozed out of bed) but I think I do now. Fluke's the best?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yes, it certainly saved a lot of time for the boiler chap. I imagine all professionals have them.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Since the krauts took them over they are precisely that.

Reply to
Matt