What is this stuff around my window ?

Time to paint the wooden window frames. The fillets around the edges on one window had all the paint curlinging up. Further investigation showed the stuff underneth was a yellowy, very damp and crumbly and was coming off with the paint .. .. not cement, more like old putty perhaps? Anyway ... I will replace around the window, but with what, putty or cement? If cement reccomended, a weak mix or a strong mix?

Glad I got two coats on the other windows yesterday .. chucking it down today :-)

Mike P

Reply to
Mike

Without a picture or a more exact decription where this "stuff" is, I can only guess it's glazing putty.

Paint crinkles up on it if you try painting it too soon after putting it in, as often happens if someone has to replace a broken window and make good. It really needs to be left very many weeks before painting, although it's decades since I used any and the formutation may have changed nowadays.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Possibly burnt sand mastic?

Geo

That seems to fit the description very well. My description of the damp feeling is very likely to be the oily part of it.

Any thoughts of replacement as it is now too soft to paint on? I was thinking of cement (strong or weak mix?) so I could start to paint it in a couple od days.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike

hack it all off and use frame sealant? ex screwfux or cheaper - toolstation jim

Reply to
jim

Well .. if it was not an old Yorkshire stone house, I probably would use sealant. It has wooden sash windows, so I thought a cement fillet might look better.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike

but your gonna paint over it, so what does it matter whats under the pain,

i'd rather have a frame selant that will last decades than cement that will likely crack and fall off the first time someone farts near the window and makes it shake, not to mention sliding it shut, expansion on hot days etc.

Reply to
gazz

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 12:08:49 +0100, Mike wrote: .

If it is the stuff we have on our house (in Scotland) it is gritty rather then soft and tends to crack into short lengths. The curly paint effect is probably because (as I only found out from google today) I should /not/ have painted over it.

I think you need something which remains flexible to take up the movement of the wood. You can get brown "mastic" tubes from the sheds which does not look too different to the original.

Some information on the old stuff here:-

Geo

It will be what's called trowelling mastic round here - the local builders' merchants sell it in tubs. I've used 2 brands, one of which is overpaintable in a couple of days, the other needs to be left a month, but it is weatherproof without painting. The yellow version can look good on Yorkshire stone and sash windows unpainted, but I'd expect it to last longer painted. I've not found an online retailer, but I've not looked very hard..

Cement would not be a good substitute - you need the permanent flexibility. Frame sealant never looks good with yorkshire stone and sash windows, particularly if it is an uneven stone surface. Definitely worth getting the proper stuff!

auctions

This sounds the way to go. Just to be clear for everyone, I am sealing around the frame where it abutts the wall.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike

Here is a closeup pic of my old stuff (1969)

some of the newer stuff from a tube:-

Geo

I get a 403 from those.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

frame ...... looks good. I can paint it after 24 hrs.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike