What Is This?

I was looking through some old tools that I inherited from my father-in-law and came across this one:

have no idea what it is but thought someone on here might have some ideas. I don't think it had anything to do with his occupation as he was a butcher (and part time fireman during the war).

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Tinkerer

top one looks like a sugar hammer maybe.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Prospector's hammer ??

Reply to
Tim Streater

Used for forming leather perhaps as in shoes? Don

Reply to
Donwill

I agree with Don, I seen have a similar tool used to stretch the leather tight over an edge before being secured. Alan R

Reply to
Roberts

A toffee hammer?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

father-in-law

Yes definately a leather working tool - my grandfather had an identical one.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Very interesting replies. As we also inherited two cobblers lasts, one of those three footed ones and a single footed from the days when he did his own shoe repairs the leather tool does seem very likely.

Thanks for the comments.

Reply to
Tinkerer

They are both for melting and spreading out wax around the heels and soles of leather shoes following repair. You heat them up on a gas ring or blowlamp, apply a wax stick to them then quickly apply the melted wax to the leather.

I have several and also made some of my own out of copper contacts from large breakers. These however are purpose made.

Reply to
Old Git

Though some people have the misfortune to have only one foot, I've never heard of anyone having three feet.

Reply to
Frederick Williams

According to Rolf Harris, Jake-the-leg had an extra leg so presumably he also had three feet.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Ah! but he was Manx. ;-)

Reply to
PJ

Ah, that's how you are supposed to do it! I've been melting candles in a saucepan; slopping the wax on quick and rough with a brush, and then melting it into cloth/leather with a hair dryer...

spamlet

No idea what the top item is, but I think the bottom one might be some sort of measuring instrument like a tape measure, ;)

Reply to
Camdor

They are irons for melting a wax like substance called "Heelbor or Ell bore" This came in a stick like sealing wax. It was held in a gas flame and when soft spread on to the side of a shoe welt and the new sole of leather and the iron was heated and rubbed round the edge to re melt the wax to spread it evenly and force the wax between the upper and the new sole to make a watertight seal

Reply to
Kipper at sea

The shitty handles are typically British design management. Three feet are British. Britain takes responsibility for the sort of Asians whose culture leaves them with deformed children.

So a prodominantly Anglo Asian Cultural tool?

Something for separating conjoined twins or for assisting mothers of triplegic babies? Maybe converting odd shoes to suit odd feet?

If not intended for use in Pakistan, maybe for nose picking? English industrial towns are filled with brain dead, nose pickers. Do they have tools for special neds? I know they have schools for spacial needs.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I just want ot add the essentially uselessness of the sophistication, bearing in mind the conditions of use in cobbled streets in dirty Britain in wet weather.

Typical for poor people in the good old days. Clogs were the heavy duty workwear for the general public.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

WTF are you on?

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I seem to have caused a bit of confusion. The pictures are both of the same tool taken from two different angles. Sorry about that, I should have explained.

The reply from the Old Git is interesting because it jogged my wife's memory that her father did indeed apply wax after doing shoe repairs although she can't remember actually seeing it done.

Reply to
Tinkerer

My father used to mend all our shoes. His own 'best' shoes were about 20 years old and like grandad's broom. The substance used from a stick was, IIRC heellball.

Reply to
<me9