What is the yellow coating you put on steel to prevent it rsuting in storage?

I have a need to store some injection moulding tools, probably for a few years. I want to coat them in the waxy / oily yellow preservative dip / spray / brush coating that peels off when no longer required, often found on quality tools when new. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name, it doesn't appear in any catalogues I have and I can't find the right Google search term. Can anyone help?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Conformal coating? At least that's the similar stuff used on electronics to keep the damp out, might lead you to better search terms.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks for the suggestion, but that only seems to throw up permaanent coatings to protect electronics. The stuff I want is intended to be removed when the tool is taken out of storage.

So far, I have tried various combinations of mothballing, protective, preservative, waxy, steel, iron and tools. I have found details on mothballing of steelworks and a tool preservation society, but nothing that matches my need. I may have to end up wrapping them in thick plastic with sheets of rust inhibiting paper, but that is a second best choice.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Well, you could give them a spray of oil then dip them in PlastiDip - that'd come of easily enough afterwards.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Hi Colin

Something like this ?

that "Metal Protective Strippable Coatings" is the thing to Google for.....

Hope this helps Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Have you actually done this? The PlastiDip data sheet says that the surfaces must be fre of oil and grease, so I would need to know that it works. I would also need to apply it by spray as they are too heavy to lift into a dipping tank.

These moulding tools are for making parts I had huge stocks of when I bought the business about five years ago. I probably have enough for at least as long again. The moulder wants the space and has asked me to take them away. My idea is to ask them to mount the tools on small pallets, so that I can move them with a pallet truck. I could lift one side at a time with a jack to coat underneath, but I have no way to lift the entire tool.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Does this help?

searched for corrosion protection for cutting tools - the key appearing to be mentioning cutting tools. These coatings are designed to protect the cutting edge from mechanical damage (eg in transport and rummaging in tool draws).

Cheers Andy

Reply to
Andy Webber

Thanks Adrian. That seems to be the search term. It has given me a UK based company as well.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Depending on the shape I suspect that a dip would be better than spraying particularly is access is difficult. As these are obviously heavy things I assume they have some form of lifting eye to get them fitted into the moulding machine. Would hiring an engine lifting rig allow you to pick 'em up and dunk 'em? Then transfer to some sort of suitable support to hang 'em from until the coating dries, otherwise you'll have a weak/bare bit of coating where they rest on something.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks to you too. I knew that teamwork was the answer to my problem.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Ah - this is the stuff...

's the stuff that nice router bits come covered in.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Ah, that sounds like good management - get someone to do it voluntarily for you and for nothing !! :>) Well done.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I've yet to get details of weight and size but, from the cavity size, they have to fit a large machine and I am assuming the tools will weight a few hundred kilos each. They are going to have to live in the storage extension at the back of my garage and, since I wrote the above, I have been thinking about adding a beam supported on wall piers that can take a ratchet chain hoist. Obviously, I need to know actual weights before I can work out the sizing. I knew I would regret selling the fork lift truck.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

a dehumidifier not an option? When tools are shipped, mineral oil is the usual option.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

When it rains heavily water runs under the door. I've had to put on Wellington boots just to wade to the car before now. The extension has the floor raised by 120mm, to keep it from flooding, but it will still be damp in there.

I'm looking to preserve them for at least five years in storage.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

If you'd posted to uk.rec.models.engineering* you'd have had an answer in a few minutes...but maybe not at 2am in the morning.

  • despite the title it's bugger all to do with model engineering!
Reply to
The Other Mike

I'd be worried about the given storage conditions for the term you're talking about. Unless you manage to do a perfect job with the conformal coating, moisture and oxygen *will* get in. The results won't necessarily show until you remove the coating, either, by which time, it'll be too late.

Might it not be worth hiring a space at one of the (dry) self storage places? Then let their insurance worry about the replacement cost if the damp does get in?

Maybe you need to look at something like a grease/ oil coating, and build a moisture controlled area round them, to permit easy examination and rectification of any problems before they get too bad. From what I've seen, that's the way the military mothball such stuff, sometimes for decades.

Reply to
John Williamson

The business does not need the extra overhead - it is really only something to keep me occupied a couple of days a week in retirement.

After applying the coating, the plan is to wrap them in 1200 gauge polyethylene sheet, sealed with aluminium tape, with a few sheets of rust inhibiting paper enclosed.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

In message , "Nightjar "@?.?.invalid> writes

Do you have injection moulding facilities?

I might have a job if so

You can take it to email

Reply to
geoff

No. I outsource all moulding work. It is just that the moulder wants the space these are taking up, which is fair enough as they have not been used in five years to my knowledge and probably longer. I get the impression they are reducing the factory space they have, which suggests it might not be a bad idea for me to have the tools anyway.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar