What is the scale on a typical barometer?

I don't have one to hand right now, but I'm helping a child make a weather chart, and I'd like to know what sort of scale I should employ on the chart (data will be read from Cardiff, in February, if that will help narrow down the likely range at all).
Thanks,
Daniele
--
Apple Juice Ltd
Chapter Arts Centre

Depends what units you are using. If you are working in milli-bars - where 1000 mB equals "standard" atmospheric pressure, your scale needs to go from about 940 to 1060. If you're working in inches of mercury, you need to go from about 27.5 to 31.
--
Cheers,
Set Square
On 15 Feb 2004 17:15:33 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (John Horne) wrote:

Probably lower in Wales though, because it's always raining. :-)
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
(John Horne) wrote:

A typical range for a barometer is 930 to 1060 . The units previously being called millibars but our euro masters have now decreed that they be re-named hecto-Pascals. Good grief is there no end to their meddling ?
FWIW in Aviation standard pressure 1013.2 when referring to flight levels.
Richard.
Richard wrote:

It's got nothing to do with our 'euromasters'. It's the standard SI units (and it's 'hectopascal'). Take a look at the various electronic weather stations (produced by Far Eastern companies). They all offer hPa.
Chris
Set Square wrote:

Ideally you should be using pascals (hPA or kPa).
Chris
You might get direct comparisons of millibars/hectopascals with inches on Google. You can also find them on uk.sci.weather.
If you want to make her one with a garden hose pipe and water, use a transparent tube and wallpaper with squares on.

You wanna get yourself a proper operating system, you do;
charon1360: units you have: hectopascal you want: inch hg     * 2.953007e-02     / 3.386379e+01

Assuming you've got a 30-odd foot high wall to put it on! [And a long ladder].
--
Cheers,
Set Square
Set Square wrote:

Thats what mine does (aneroid) and it the 50 years I have had it (or rather, its been in the families and then my, possesion), its never been NEAR either end. I'd say 28.5-30.5 is all you will ever see in this country...