What is the name for?

What is the name for the method of house/roof construction where the living space intrudes slightly into the roof space, ie there is a bit of sloping ceiling in the corner of exterior walls? TIA

Reply to
harryagain

Do you mean a dormer? Or I believe "bungaloid" was sometimes used too.

Paul DS

Reply to
Paul D Smith

Do you mean a Mansard roof, although I would normally associate that with the entire floor being within the roof space?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

In message , Paul D Smith writes

Included attic?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Chalet bungalows? But that's the whole dwelling, not just the construction method.

Scott

Reply to
Scott M

The construction results in a corner of the wall/ceiling junction being being cut off along outside walls. Ie a bit of the ceilng slopes at the roof angle along the outer walls. It's pretty common in prewar houses.

Reply to
harryagain

Collar roof, I think, though I that might also cover other designs.

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

My parents' one is like that. It was called a semi-bungalow in the

1950's when it was built, meaning the upstairs floor area is less than the downstairs because the rooms are set back into the roof space (doesn't necessarily mean a bit of sloping ceiling, although theirs is, and doesn't mean there's any dormer - theirs didn't have, although it has more recently with an extension). Don't know if that name survives today.

My neighbour also has the sloping ceiling corners, but that's not a bungalow as the upstairs rooms are not set back and their floor area is same as the rooms below them - just that the roof is about 2' too low to avoid cutting the corners. The current occupiers actually raised the internal landing ceiling right up to the rafters, making the internal upstairs landing quite tall and spectacular, with large velux windows (and some very high up lights which I wondered how they would ever change the bulbs).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

f house/roof construction where the living

And an obviously different shaped roof.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

The described situation would require a collar roof, but a collar roof doen't neccessarily result in sloping ceilings.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I can't answer specifically, but I've got a house like that too. 1905 build, high ceilings in the first floor due to the floor of the loft being raised about 2ft higher than it "needs" to be if all of the angles were to be 90deg.

It caused us a minor issue recently when having solar panels fitted to the roof. The roofing chap set about driving bolts through the timbers from the roof side, and then went into the loft to check them on the other side. He was left scratching his head to work out where these bolts had gone, until he went into the bedrooms below and could see exactly where they were - they'd come through the angled section of the ceiling!!

Matt

Reply to
larkim

I think they are called chalet style - at least the ones where the roof comes down as far as the ground floor over part or all of the building. I have never understood why people built this style in the UK. There are similar styles in countries where there is a lot of snow (Switzerland, Black Forest etc.).

The family home of my childhood was like this and all the bedrooms had sloping cutofffs on the upper walls. My bedroom had a dormer window. We still had a loft, mind, but the first floor could have been a lot larger for the same size of ground floor.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

house/roof construction where the living

From what? There is not enough information in the OP to know what shape of roof is involved.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Coombed.

Reply to
S Viemeister

'storey and a half' is what I have herd it referred to as, or 'under the eaves'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I put it in my new house because it helps keep the 'skyline' down and looks in keeping with all the other houses nearby.

And I like rooms with sloping ceilings and odd corners.

I am sitting under a loping ceiling right now, looking out of a dormer window - the computer fits perfectly under the lope as does the toilet in the room across the corridor.

The architect called it a 'storey and a half'

I call it fun.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It reduces visual impact by using at least part of the necessary sloped roof as a habitable area, and its slightly more efficient in the use of materials - although as I discovered, not labour. Each dormer took as long to build/plaste/paint as a whole bloomin' room did.

Its totally common in rural areas where old thatched houses have been converted - the steep pitches on the rooves make it easy to fit the top storey in by adding dormers.

Its not that uncommon in some terraces of town houses where roof space was relegated to some of the servants.

Its uncommon in latter day cheap housing because its actually expensive to make. Today the cheapest house is a rectangular one with gable ends and no usable loft at all because preformed warren trusses which are dirt cheap leave no room up there for anything to move.

This leads to a really boring house.

At considerable extra cost in materials.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't have a name for it, but it's common where houses were built to a price rather than a standard, and I've seen it on a lot of ex-council houses and budget housing estates. It means the walls can be built a foot lower than would normally be necessary.

That's assuming you're talking about a few inches, rather than a couple of feet.

Reply to
John Williamson

fist of all its NOT cheap. Its actually expensive as dormers are complicated things to build, so its more often than not a conversion on an old building.

Secondly, you can save a whole room height of wall if the roof pitch is steep enough or the horse is wide enough.

Wgere I am sitting now the gutter line is below my eye level

The actual with of e full height ceiling behind my head is about 2' 6"". It gets a bit wider near the door,, but behind me is the stairwell. ..its a complicated shope is this room.

I can count twelve actual vertical walls with distinct edges and three ceiling planes.

It was very difficult to get a 'disabled width' corridor down the middle of this storey and to where it needed to go just using right angles..and a staircase up to it, without destroying the space.

The architect thought my solution was 'ingenious'. It also turned out to be a bit expensive too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dormers are not involved, and I've lived in houses like this dating from the mid 19th Century to the present day in both stone and brick.

The ones I am (And, I suspect, the OP is) talking about are the ones like the one I'm sitting in at the moment, built by the council in the

1930s, with a small sloping section of ceiling where the outside wall stops a few inches below the ceiling height. The roof construction is almost identical to a house without the bevel, but they've saved the cost of three courses of bricks, while giving the same usable space in the room. Dormers are not involved, and the edge of the roof bears directly on the lintel over the windows, again saving time and money by not having to put a course or two of bricks over the lintel. It gives an extra four inches of ceiling height upstairs compared with a flat ceiling from wall to wall.

My last home was a 1970s conversion from a 19th Century chapel where the flat was built as a box inside the chapel, and the original (untouched) ceiling was visible in the loft, following the slope of the roof from the edges up to a central flat portion about three feet above eaves level.

I'll agree that dormers are bloomin' expensive, but as far as I can see, that's not what's being talked about by the OP.

Reply to
John Williamson