What is the best way (or product) to clean grubby looking painted interior wood?

As per subject title: What is the best way (or product) to clean grubby looking painted interior wood?

Thanks a lot for any advice.

Reply to
cdr

looking painted interior wood?

I use Flash, either as directed on the bottle or the spray.

Reply to
John Williamson

painted interior wood?

Angle grinder.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Sugar soap.

Reply to
Steve Firth

That will wear/damage a gloss surface though (which is exactly what you want if you are just about to repaint it, but probably not otherwise).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

looking painted interior wood?

soapy water and a scrubbing brush or a WHITE scouring pad. That does remove a LITTLE paint each time though..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

For a particularly difficult bit, after the other methods, I find isopropyl alcohol very good. also good on plastic electrical accessories - does not damage most plastics.

Reply to
Tim Watts

A little bleach on a damp cloth. Works very well.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

sand it

or if you want less damage .. try a wash down with sugar soap

Reply to
Rick Hughes

looking painted interior wood?

BOSH!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

ooking painted interior wood?

Hot water and detergent. If anything remains, then use paraffin. If you need to avoid it whiffing very slightly fora couple of days, clean that off with hot water & detergent.

NT

Reply to
NT

looking painted interior wood?

IMHO if it's got so bad that normal detergent doesn't work then it's time to repaint it.

Reply to
Mark

looking painted interior wood?

The cheapest and most effective I've found (cleaning paintwork after my father had smoked in the house for 20 years) was Star Drops. Also seems easier to clean off than most - especially sugar soap.

Reply to
PeterC

Can you still get that? It was good stuff!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yes: Morrisons, pound shops, cut-price household goods shops (some cheaper than pound shops), possibly Wilkinsons.

I did pretty well the entire house: furniture, walls and ceilings on about

1/3rd. of a bottle. It's the only 'off the shelf' cleanser that I've ever seen that's appreciably >5% active consituents.
Reply to
PeterC

looking painted interior wood?

Paint.