What is so bad about plasterboard?

And this stuff is in your house....

I once hired a skip and they made no requirements at all apart from don'= t fill over the top. I assumed anything recyclable would make them mone= y so they didn't care.

Waste disposal is paid for by council tax. How they sort it isn't my pr= oblem.

None of the recycling bins I have list plasterboard as possible contents= . AFAIK there isn't a place to put it in the recycling centre. Besides= , why should I take it down there on my own time and petrol and messing = up the inside of my car when I can get them to collect it for nowt? I o= nly take stuff there if it's too big to get in a bin. They want stuff r= ecycled, they do it for me or not at all.

-- =

What has four legs, is big, green, fuzzy, and if it fell out of a tree w= ould kill you? A pool table.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Heh! That's what I did a couple of years ago, not to avoid paying to dispose of it, but to add extra sound blocking to the walls, rather than bin it.

Look at who's posting and you have your answer

Reply to
Andy Burns

Hucker

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Hmmmm ...

So, when you 'throw things away' it's to a different planet?

Sorry, you did say and I missed that (and our green bin is for green waste).

That said, the std 'domestic bins' are for 'household waste' and whilst the waste may have been from your household, it was actually from but not your actual 'household'.

I think 'most people' would not consider 'building waste' (even from their own building and diy efforts) the sort of thing they would put in their household waste bins but take them to the tip themselves (or get a skip / skip bag etc).

But I guess it's better than fly tipping it ... ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Get lost Flounder.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

eneral waste skip.

I've already paid them as part of my Council Tax.

It's disposed of by the Council, which is paid to do this by me and ever= yone else who lives in this area. How they do that is not my concern.

ver about 5 collections, they never complained (even though it was obvio= us as the bin was extremely heavy).

re plasterboard is supposed to go as it doesn't have a seperate recyclin= g option. Green waste goes in the brown bin here. Different councils u= se different coloured bins.

Most places originally had black bins for waste before kerbside recyclin= g was invented. For some reason here they had green, so had to choose o= ther colours for recycling.

I consider household waste to be from me and not a business. Putting pl= asterboard in it from 100s of houses I'd worked on as a tradesman would = be a different thing entirely. Mind you, if those houses were in the sa= me council are, I still wouldn't have a problem with it. For example, w= hen I've had tradesmen working here, they've put all the waste in my bin= s instead of taking it with them, as the council charges workmen for dis= posal of waste.

Only if it's too big to get in the bin easily.

Fly tipping happens BECAUSE councils charge people to dump waste.

-- =

A man is a person who will pay two dollars for a one-dollar item he want= s. A woman will pay one dollar for a two-dollar item that she doesn't want.=

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Cow tipping is more fun.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

ote:

I would not take the word of any politician about anything anyone says abou t landfill. Ever since Margaret Thatcher invented global warming all on her own there has been no limit to the outright, pointless lies told about the environment.

Could someone please explain to me how calcium sulphate is going to decompo se or recompose in a tip? As far as I can make out gypsum is nearly inert b ut hydrogen sulphide is a very powerful reducer. What exactly causes one to turn into the other? And what sort of traces are they getting our knickers in a corruption-fest over? And how many of the posters involved in this discussion really know what th ey are talking about?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

The principle reason is (apparently) it reacts with certain food wastes to produce hydrogen sulphide (aka stink bombs) - however, the gas is toxic in sufficient concentrations.

So plasterboard either has to be recycled (good - as it is a pretty recyclable material) or buried in a serrated landfill.

All the larger tips take it - but I guess the smaller ones don't have room for yet another roro skip.

The annoying thing at Heathfield dump is the PB skip is like the paper skip - has slots in the side to "post" the PB through which is rather tedious compared to lobbing it in the top.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Jeesus.

My local one does not take it - so I booked a skip for the dormer strip out - and have 3/4 filled a midi (4yd). That should leave enough space for the offcuts from the new PB - all other material I take to the dump.

Reply to
Tim Watts

It's a lot less flammable!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes, so does ours, I presume it's to keep it dry.

Reply to
Chris French

You are Rodney AICMFP

Reply to
Tim Watts

The guidance is from the EA

Reply to
Andy Burns

Oh no, our tip used to have a separate plaster skip and it was free last year, no doubt they just see this as another earner, they have quite a list of items at £3 a pop ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Looks like you're out of look ordering some bedtime reading ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Don't dispute that H2S might be the argument, but I'm not sure of the logic. Yes, it's toxic and the problem, indoors, is that you smell it very easily at a safe concentration but then the nose gets saturated (or something), and you don't smell it any more, and you die. But certainly until the 1960's every decent school chemistry lab had a Kipps Apparatus (and had done for 100 years) and I don't recall hearing of any fatalities.

H2S used to be used in the manufacture of heavy water. I have heard it argued that one reason for the general UK reluctance for Candu and similar heavy water reactors is that you couldn't site a heavy water manufacturing plant in the UK because a significant accident there would kill people 100 miles away. (Yes I know we had a heavy water reactor at Winfrith, and had plans to build a commercial one, but we got the heavy water for the prototype from Canada where they have plenty of space to make it).

But there's sulphur in lots of things. If you stir up the black slime at the bottom of ditches, or in drain gulleys, you get the distinctive smell. It's been manufactured by anaerobic bacteria which of course means they are operating the absence of oxygen. It oxidises fairly readily in air. Waste tips only smell of it when they are disturbed.

Maybe there is some argument about ground water? But it's not very soluble in water.

Reply to
newshound

Ahm no Strayn.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 19:55:31 +0100, Tim Watts wro= te:

Why do you make a habit of having flames in your house?

And if you don't want flammable, why do you have carpets, wood floorboar= ds, etc?

-- =

If you own a =A33,000 machine gun and a =A35,000 rocket launcher, but yo= u can't afford shoes, you may be a Muslim.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Well (probably) sort of. You have paid for the ability to dispose of such waste at the local refuse centre but you haven't paid to have that sort of waste *collected** (for free).

Where would you draw the line ... anything you could cut up and get in you general waste bin *you* would consider 'quite reasonable'?

Other people (for some strange reason) have the responsibility of taking that sort of thing to the tip themselves, or *paying* the Council or another party to take it away for them. I'm guessing you would consider them 'mugs'?

Yes, the cost of collection and disposal of your *household* waste is covered by your council Tax, *not* the brick wall you took down and 'lost' in the bottom of the bin over several weeks (like a scene out of the 'Great escape'). ;-)

But the cost of should be your concern otherwise 'the rest of us' are having to cover you (if you are 'abusing' a service that you should either deal with yourself or pay for then it is an abuse).

We had a conventional 'dustbin', then just bags and now a small black wheelie bin for 'household waste' and a larger green bin for (conveniently) 'green waste'.

But ask 100 people (or the 'Environmental Services' at the local council) what they consider to be 'household waste' and I'm betting few would consider plasterboard to be on the list.

Putting *your* plasterboard in it is a different matter entirely. ;-)

I believe you would, both morally and officially.

Quite! Now, if you have just had a new bathroom fitted and there is some protective plastic film, some empty silicone tubes and paper cloths then whilst it is *officially* commercial waste (the tradesman should take it away and would need a waste carriers licence to cover that (that they would fill in and you would countersign)), most people would allow it to go in the 'household waste' bin. Now, I know you would smash the old sanitaryware up and drip feed it into your 'household waste' but that wouldn't be 'legal'.

Much of the 'household waste' is incinerated and I'm not sure bricks, plasterboard or your old toilet burn that well. ;-(

By your rules. ;-)

Fly tipping happens BECAUSE some people (a tiny minority luckily) have no moral compass and don't think they are responsible for their own waste ... or think it's right and fair to saddle others with the cost of disposing of your waste though unofficial means. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m