What is it called when...

Hi all,

I am trying to remember the name this certain term/item but I just can't think of it :(

Basically, it applies in construction when a hole/trench or similar is dug and metal sheets are placed on the walls of the said hole to stop the earth caving in?

I thought some of you kind people would be able to help, it's really bugging me!

Thanks,

Reply to
gremlin_95

Shoring or shoring up

Reply to
Phil L

Temporary piling, or in a bill of quantities, planking and strutting.

Reply to
John Williamson

That's the other name for it that slipped my mind.

Reply to
John Williamson

Notwithstanding the other replies, I've always heard it called shuttering.

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

That's the one!

Reply to
gremlin_95

Oh yes, that's another thing I have heard it being called.

Thanks for the replies.

Reply to
gremlin_95

For military trenches it is called a revetment.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

shuttering? Nah. It has a special name..bugger got me too..piling?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sheet piling

Reply to
The Other Mike

Sounds very painful...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Aren't pilings permanent? Is this, for example, what was done to the local water course namely sheets piled in about 8 feet from the banks and rods between the sheets and the "planking" forming the banks? Basically the sheets are holding the banks up.

Paul DS.

Reply to
Paul D Smith

Isn't shuttering where you use material (often wood) to effectively line a hole and create a mould into which the concrete is poured? The shuttering is later removed. The shuttering can also be above ground and sometimes also "patterned" to produce a finish on the final concrete.

Paul DS.

Reply to
Paul D Smith

I though sheet piling was driven into the ground, rather than placed onto the edge of a pre-dug hole.

But this may be a regional difference.

I agree on shoring (placed on the edges, to prevent (further) collapse) and shuttering (for poured concrete etc)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Have you been reading _Tristram Shandy_?

(I recall from technical translation years ago that the lining of a coat is "doublure" in French, but the lining of a furnace is "revêtement".)

Reply to
Adam Funk