What IS it called??

Some houses have a corridor kind of affair upstairs, with bedrooms leading off it at intervals. Ours has a square-ish landing...with bedrooms off it.

What's the corridor-kind-of-thing called?? It's not a hallway because that's downstairs, innit? Not really a "landing" because that's what ours is. I can't help feeling I'm being a bit thick here...

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

A corridor?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Mezzanine floor?

Reply to
Bill

Why not a landing?

I see no reason for it to have a separate name just because it is rectangular instead of square. Obviously, if it travels away from the top of the stairs instead of running alongside with a drop to the side, it would simply be a corridor.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Surely a landing is where the stairs land - literally a landing - so the shape is immaterial.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Yer...but it doesn't sound right. I imagine a corridor to be something a hospital has, or something industrial. There must be another name :o)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Hmmm..."Where's the hoover love?", "Down the other end of the mezzanine floor".

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Spose......but I'm not happy with calling a corridor-shaped thing a landing. Or a corridor unless it's in a nospital.

Si - grudgingly accepting corridor.

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

You can still call it a landing if it runs alongside the stairs. Definately a corridor if it doesn't. However, you could call it a hall, even if it is upstairs.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Could it be a minstrel gallery?

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

In a lot of new houses nowadays it would be called a third bedroom ;)

Reply to
Philip Thompson

What about a lobby, or is that a term only used in Scotland.

Ron

Reply to
Ronald

Outside the bedroom?

as in 'where are you' 'Im outside the bedroom'

Reply to
gaz

"Upstairs corridor"?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No. A corridor is what links the main staircase landing to the servants staircase...

Mezzanine is a halfway floor between twe main ones...

Large houses might call it a gallery..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I thought a lobby was what we call a porch, or entrance hall..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No - a corridor can be on the ground floor, a landing can't.

It's a landing.

Be told.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

LOL! (Really)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Thats what we call ours ... Why is the OP getting so concerned about this?

Maybe he's used to pokey houses where the landing is just a square bit big enough to stand on?

Reply to
BillR

Are you taking the piss or what? Its a F***ing landing!

Reply to
BillR