What IS it called??

Page 1 of 2
Some houses have a corridor kind of affair upstairs, with bedrooms leading off it at intervals. Ours has a square-ish landing...with bedrooms off it.
What's the corridor-kind-of-thing called?? It's not a hallway because that's downstairs, innit? Not really a "landing" because that's what ours is. I can't help feeling I'm being a bit thick here...
Si
message

A corridor?

Yer...but it doesn't sound right. I imagine a corridor to be something a hospital has, or something industrial. There must be another name :o)
Si
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

In a lot of new houses nowadays it would be called a third bedroom ;)
Mungo \"two sheds\" Toadfoot wrote:

No. A corridor is what links the main staircase landing to the servants staircase...
Mezzanine is a halfway floor between twe main ones...
Large houses might call it a gallery..

Mezzanine floor?
message

Hmmm..."Where's the hoover love?", "Down the other end of the mezzanine floor".
Si

Why not a landing?
I see no reason for it to have a separate name just because it is rectangular instead of square. Obviously, if it travels away from the top of the stairs instead of running alongside with a drop to the side, it would simply be a corridor.
Christian.

Surely a landing is where the stairs land - literally a landing - so the shape is immaterial.
Andrew
wrote in message

Spose......but I'm not happy with calling a corridor-shaped thing a landing. Or a corridor unless it's in a nospital.
Si - grudgingly accepting corridor.

You can still call it a landing if it runs alongside the stairs. Definately a corridor if it doesn't. However, you could call it a hall, even if it is upstairs.
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

Could it be a minstrel gallery?
Terry D.

What about a lobby, or is that a term only used in Scotland.
Ron
Ronald wrote:

I thought a lobby was what we call a porch, or entrance hall..

Nah, that'd be in the garige(sic) surely?
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
message wrote in message

Outside the bedroom?
as in 'where are you' 'Im outside the bedroom'

LOL! (Really)
Si
message wrote in message

No - a corridor can be on the ground floor, a landing can't.
It's a landing.
Be told.
Mary

Christian McArdle wrote:

Thats what we call ours ... Why is the OP getting so concerned about this?
Maybe he's used to pokey houses where the landing is just a square bit big enough to stand on?

He's not concerned, he's curious.

Perhaps he is.
Si