What is it?

me too, but that's jobsworth's for you, they've nothing better to do than sit around making up ridiculous rules.

It's like the water bylaw that states your shower hose must go through a ring on the riser rail, apparently this is so that you can't leave the shower head in a bathful of dirty water and switched on, when someone further down the street could turn the water supply off, and in theory, the shower head could siphon the dirty bathwater into the mains pipes!! - how many times has that ever happened? answer: never, but there's a possibility it could and so it came into force, bearing this in mind, I am going to paint, 'don't crash here' on my roof to warn passing pilots and UFO's not to do their dirty buisness on my house :-)

Reply to
Phil L

Huge

Indeed. Our mortgage was contingent on having a nice warranty-backed certificate.

Reply to
Jim

Is the failure of wall ties likely to be covered by a 'normal' house buildings insurance? There is no mortgage co involved and we have a very low incidence of claims (3 minor ones in 28 years) Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

to an extent that is true. However, in the limit 'no continuous='not there at all'.

So by reductio ad absurdum, you can see its not wholly true.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

yes, but they dry out faster than the water seeps inside.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Think carefully before you do that. It appears that the real story isn't as good as the legend...

which was that every pilot in the country went to see, but even so...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Seriously thinking about painting a band 18" down from the roof line and an 18" wide vertical column in aluminium paint on the gable end of the house that faces down the valley before painting over in ordinary masonary paint. Hopefully it would show as an upward pointing arrow on the radar or thermal imagers on the fast jets as they approach and use us as a marker to take the bend in the valley...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

the injected foam has absolutely no adhesive properties whatsoever - it's nothing like the modern foam used in various building applications like affixing frames etc, and even that would be completely useless as an adhesive for brick/blockwork.

Foam insulation has never been marketed as, nor had claims made about it 'glueing' the two walls together, given that it's final consistency when fully cured is that of candy floss.

Reply to
Phil L

The amount of water getting into the cavity is irrelevant in relation to the outer brickwork, and by association the outer portion of the wall ties getting wet periodically, and this is what causes them to rust.

That said, it only occurs when oxygen is present, and if the mortar is solid and it gets wet, no rust can occur, it's only once hairline cracks appear in the mortar beds that the rust takes proper hold and forces the cracks even wider, thus perpetuating the cycle

Reply to
Phil L

Highly unlikely to be covered, but it might be worth a try if they need doing, but they won't take your word for it, they will insist on a survey by a wall tie company

Reply to
Phil L

Or when you have lime mortar, which is essentially porous.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher