What is it?

We have recently moved house. Our new house has an Albion Mercury Unvented Hot Water Storage Cylinder with two immersion heaters. Below one of the immersion heaters, on the side of the cylinder, is a box which has a dial (range 25 C to 95 C) and a little red button. Can anyone tell me what this box does.

The reason I need to know is because it seems to be overriding my boiler timer. Neither Immersion Heaters are switched on. I heat the water using the boiler on a timer. However, twice recently, I have heard the boiler coming on when it is not supposed to be on. There is also a noise of water running to/from the cylinder. If I turn down the dial on this unknown box (presumably reducing the temperature) then the running water sound stops and the boiler switches off.

Can anyone tell me what might be happening? (I can send a photo of the box if that helps)

Reply to
Ann

Below

thermostat for the hot water temp. (I dont think that would be the room temp :) )

When you turn the stat down it decides its as hot as wanted, so stops the boiler heating and pumping in the heated water.

Your timer is evidently not controlling the HW after all.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

The timer is probably wired up only to control the heating. Are you sure it is a programmer, rather than a room thermostat? Does it have a "Hot Water" channel?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The timer has two "sections" - heating and hot water - I know the timer works OK for the hot water, because if the timer is not set, then the water does not heat up!!

Reply to
Ann

message news:...

If the water is heated when the timer is meant to keep it off, I think we can conlcude it doesnmt work ok. Giving hot water doesnt necessarily all working correctly.

Its hard to get into this further with so little info though.

NT

Reply to
bigcat