What is it?

Hi All It's been a long while since I visited uk.d-i-y but I have a question. Not that I understand what Facebook is, but the following pictures have been posted there too (not by me) to see if the knowledge of this newsgroup is better than the RotW. What is this item:

To give an idea of size, the knurled part of the handle is about 2".

Reply to
Grumps

Dunno really, some sort of flange/seam rolling tool?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Looks like something of the sort. I assume that the large flange simply bolts onto a flat surface to hold it in position and that you operate it by moving the knurled handle round. Screwing the handle in and out appears to change the separation between the rollers.

Reply to
Roger Mills

No idea, but what's missing is a view into the base. Is it just flat and solid, or is there a shaft in there that connects to another, possibly driven, shaft on the bit of kit it's bolted on to.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Chris Hogg wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I am guessing it fits onto a drive and is used for crimping something between the gears - which have adjustable pressure / meshing.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Here's a few more pictures. A view into the base just seems to show the nut that holds it all together:

The small knurled peg can be removed and the larger cog can then also be removed:

This cog is coupled to one of many wheels:

All fits nicely into the wooden box which houses 16 alternative wheels:

Grumps

I reckon it's for preparing the end of a tube, maybe copper, for something. What, I don't know.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

With the variety of wheels, it looks a lot like a device I used to use for bending small bore tubes.

Reply to
Nightjar

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 18:33:25 +0100, Nightjar With the variety of wheels, it looks a lot like a device I used to use

Yep, I think you might have it.

Reply to
Adrian

With the knurled handle only being about 2" you are not going to get much t orque so whatever is bent in it must be a fairly soft material. Seeing as o ne roller is plain/flat and the removable one can be flat or be replaced by 16 different concave grooved ones, it looks to me like a jewellers device to produce wedding band rings from preformed strips of gold or silver.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Now there's a brilliant suggestion. It would also mean that one turn would be sufficient, and the device doesn't look as though it's meant to do more than that, otherwise it'd be trying to make a helix of sorts and would get very twisted up.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Here is something looking very like it

Chris Hogg

Even better

(I'll shut up now!)

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I used to bend stainless steel, but only up to 16swg / 1.6mm.

The images posted by Chris seem to confirm that.

Reply to
Nightjar

That's *so* similar that it *has* to be what it is!

Reply to
Roger Mills

wire or pipe bender

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If there was a prize, you two would win it. And, the best news is that uk.d-i-y beat RotW hands down! Thanks.

Reply to
Grumps

Did you know what it was when you posed the question?

BTW, what's RotW?

Reply to
Roger Mills

No, I couldn't work it out. Rest of the World. (Or should it be ROTW?)

Reply to
Grumps

Rest of the World

Reply to