What is "engineered Oak"

I am looking at flooring to go over an UFH system and have come across a lot of sites selling "engineered oak" as suitable for this purpose. The description of these floors however sound to me more like laminate i.e. a sub layer (be it of oak or ply) covered by a top layer of oak of varying thicknesses.

I thought that engineered oak was made by taking pieces of oak and gluing together to form a piece less likely to warp. This is certainly how the "oak" patio doors I have installed is made.

Cheers

Martin

Reply to
Martin Carroll

AIUI "engineered wood" means "wood machined to exact dimensions", whilst your doors I would describe as "laminated wood" or "glulam".

Reply to
RubberBiker

Usually would refer to laminated wood as you describe but tends to be a much abused term where some sort of process is applied to virtual firewood to turn it into a manufactured product that is just about fit for purpose. The only way to be sure is to ask for the specification backed up with a sample.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Usually would refer to laminated wood as you describe but tends to be a much abused term where some sort of process is applied to virtual firewood to turn it into a manufactured product that is just about fit for purpose. The only way to be sure is to ask for the specification backed up with a sample.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

IME the phrase usually means a man made base - ply / mdf etc, with real wood surface. Said surface usually being thick enough to accommodate a number of sandings. It should be less likely to warp than solid oak as well and generally be more dimensionally stable.

Reply to
John Rumm