What is a reasonable deposit?

This is what I thought you meant in the first place...why go to an installer for supply only? - I've only ever bought direct from manufacturers, although you can still expect to pay a deposit

Reply to
Phil L

It's is reasonable to pay a reasonable (c. 50%) deposit for items that are made to measure (windows, suits).

It's unreasonable for the fitters to ask for more money until the work is completed satisfactorily.

With a new customer I usually ask for money for materials up front. This show commitment on their part and means that if they change their minds (most unlikely _after_ they have made a deposit) they can have the goods and I can walk away.

I usually invite the customer to hold back some money for snagging. This is much better than them asking me if they could do so. Furthermore the usual response is to decline (to save them making more than one payment) and/or saying they know I'd come back if they're are any problems.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Did you install them yourself?

Reply to
cucumber

I think that this is an excellent way to do business.

It protects the supplier in the case of a new customer, makes the customer feel secure and yet still achieves the objective of payment at the end of the work.

Reply to
Andy Hall

And yet 'watchdog' type programmes say don't part with any money until the job has been completed to satisfaction, and many customers try to take it seriously

Reply to
Phil L

He's fitting them himself, although he seems to be doing all the work himself, so how does he go on with doors, sockets, plumbing etc? - he can't withold 50% of payment to these suppliers surely?

I usually start a job, dig out a few skipfuls of stuff and get a few days into it before requesting money, this has usually been arranged prior to starting work, the remainder is payable upon completion/satisfaction.

I've never asked a customer to hold anything back and they've never tried, it's made clear to them that if they're not happy with the job, they tell me rather than anyone else and it will be put right.

Reply to
Phil L

Watchdog et al might not want to accept it, but there are rogue customers out there too. And any sensible contractor will want to protect himself against unforseen eventualities like the customer dying suddenly.

In my BCO days we had a first class builder on my patch, a couple of brothers + hired labour who felt it quite beneath them to ask for any money until the job had been completed to the customer's satisfaction

- which it invariably was. Then on one job Mrs Client took a live-in lover and Mr C moved (probably involuntarily) out. Unfortunately they were half way through a loft conversion and Mrs C had no money, nor did the lover and Mr C refused to pay up until the divorce settlement went through. After that they asked for stage payments.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I've not had anyone back out of a job as big as a heating system upgrade. But I have had people book up and make an appointment for something like a new time switch. Only to be told on the day "We think we can live without it!".

Reply to
Ed Sirett