What I learned from my Dad

My Dad who is now 95 used to fix Spitfire engines after WWII as he was trai ned by RR.

As a fireman in civvy street, he built me a 8.5?? reflector out of plywood that he made into a telescope, plus an observatory and moto r drive for it, a garage and extension bedroom on top all wired in and with a fire sprinker.

He could tune 4 pot bike engines by ear with a screwdriver held to it and h e rebuilt his Alfasud boxer by hand after wrecking it by redlining it.

He tried to teach me about engine maintenance, but my scientific mind was m ore into Astronomy, Physics and Chemistry where I made my 40 year ? career?, but bits of his talent have been passed on thankfully whic h I now employ around the place.

Not his woodworking skills though.

Simon Mason

Must be a really crap design if you can't 'redline' it. Surely you should have learnt by this and gone for a better make?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

He was on his way to a fire, overevved it and the pistons hit the valves on the way down.

Reply to
Simon Mason

That doesn't happen by 'redlining' any engine. It's the sort of thing that happens if you select a silly low gear at speed and *vastly* overspeed the engine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

He actually missed a gear and floored it in neutral.

Reply to
Simon Mason

or out of plywood that he made into a telescope, plus an observatory and mo tor drive for it, a garage and extension bedroom on top all wired in and wi th a fire sprinker.

he rebuilt his Alfasud boxer by hand after wrecking it by redlining it.

Which four pot bike engine would that be?

Reply to
harry

Still a bad design if that broke it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

trained by RR.

ctor out of plywood that he made into a telescope, plus an observatory and motor drive for it, a garage and extension bedroom on top all wired in and with a fire sprinker.

nd he rebuilt his Alfasud boxer by hand after wrecking it by redlining it.

Simon Mason

I remember my Dad making a # telescope out of the mirror from a tv projector light box. It was rather impractical, as the mirror was about a foot across but was almost 3 quarters of an inch thicksurface silvered lead glass. Very heavy for mounting anywhere. It was hard to find a lens for the eyepiece as the curvature of the mirror must have been not a true parabola. Bit like the issue with the Hubble only smaller! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No limiters in those days.

And this is an Alfa - great fun, but not reliable.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Valve bounce is a natural limiter.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

All engines have limiters. Once the valves can no longer follow the camshaft (valve float). But you won't break an engine by doing that - unless you ignored the racket and carried on for some time. What is far more likely is vastly over speeding the engine by selecting a low gear at speed. That can easily take the engine speed well above what it could achieve on its own.

Thought their one claim to fame was decent engines - in those days.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And again now, after they ditched the GM/Fiat fiasco.

Simon Mason